Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

hotel points towards companion pass?

brianseva
Explorer C

If I book a hotel through the SW website and it says I'll earn 7,000 points and the stay only costs $1000 do those 7,000 points count towards my companion pass qualification? I'm just short right now in points and want to be sure it goes over. Also, there are options to purchase more points for that same hotel booking. Would these count? Thanks!

32 REPLIES 32

Re: hotel points towards companion pass?

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Yes they do! Hotel points typically post a few weeks after check out in my experience. 

--Jessica

confused1
Explorer A

Hello there!  I am reaching out because I am so confused with the hotel stays since  I need more info regarding the hotel points, specifically if they will be points towards the Companion Pass.  Please someone help 🙂  Have been informed that booking a hotel stay in the Southwest booking.com points will NOT go towards Companion Pass.  I see that others here have commented the opposite.  Hoping you guys are correct.  Is a hotel stay, booked through the southwest.com hotel section considered qualifying points towards the Companion Pass?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@confused1 wrote:

Hello there!  I am reaching out because I am so confused with the hotel stays since  I need more info regarding the hotel points, specifically if they will be points towards the Companion Pass.  Please someone help 🙂  Have been informed that booking a hotel stay in the Southwest booking.com points will NOT go towards Companion Pass.  I see that others here have commented the opposite.  Hoping you guys are correct.  Is a hotel stay, booked through the southwest.com hotel section considered qualifying points towards the Companion Pass?

Hello-

From my experience, Rapid Rewards points earned from Southwest Hotels counts towards Companion Pass (CP) (note that I always book a Points Plus property w/ Free Cancellation as the point payout is generous and gets delivered within a week of the stay). Same with hotels booked via Rocket Miles.

Here's a screenshot of my Points Activity, filtered by CP Qualifying points, showing that the points do in fact count toward CP:

Southwest Hotels CP RR Points.jpg

Rocket Miles CP RR Points.jpg

Note that hotel points do not count toward TQP's/A-List.

confused1
Explorer A

That is great news to hear (see / read!!)  I saw your screenshot and you are absolutely correct. ,  it reflects it there very clearly..  Are points posted after actual check in and check out of stay? the reason I ask is because of timing since starting to build CP beginning of next year and the stay is next year. 

I'm concerned if booking hotel to reserve spot  (but stay will be for next year) and it will go towards CP, those points would be zeroed out ?  I'm really hoping the points get delivered when check in and check out is done.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and share your experience 🙂 thank you so much and please when you can let me know about the delivery of points (if when booked /reservation is done in 2023 or when the check in  and check out of hotel stay has been completed).  And yes, for sure I will do with Free Cancellation and thru the Southwest Hotels while being logged into my account.  Again thank you!!  

dfwskier
Aviator A

All RR points are granted after a hotel stay is completed

Non-refundable hotel reservation RR points companion pass timing

Mryan1
Explorer C

Quick question to the experienced hotel and RR travelers.

I am very close to earning a companion pass for next year with expected hotel stay mid-January.  If I book a non-refundable hotel stay today, do I get the RR points at the time of billing, or do I have to wait until after I stay at the property.  I suspect being non-refundable it should not matter when, but wanted to ask more experienced travelers.    the hotel we are looking at is $300 more than another site, but if we get the companion pass with the spend it would be worth it.  Thanks!!

Re: Non-refundable hotel reservation RR points companion pass timing

confused1
Explorer A

hi! congrats on your upcoming travel arrangements! I will leave the experienced travelers to respond to that question.  However, I have been told by others that the RR points are posted once the "stay" has been completed (after checkout).  I have not experienced it yet but I have been told that by multiple sources.  I hope you have a lot of fun and get that companion pass soon!

Mryan1
Explorer C

Understood.  I was hoping if the reservation is non-refundable we would get credit for the RR points before the rest January 1st.  I see it states it is after the stay. Before I spend the extra cost to get the points, I want to make sure it will be recognized by January 1st paying for it today. Thanks.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Mryan1 wrote:

Understood.  I was hoping if the reservation is non-refundable we would get credit for the RR points before the rest January 1st.  I see it states it is after the stay. Before I spend the extra cost to get the points, I want to make sure it will be recognized by January 1st paying for it today. Thanks.

For example, WGA fares are also non-refundable - those you also get when you fly, not when you buy.

It's very clear "upon hotel stay completed by..."

DancingDavidE_0-1699587937083.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.