Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

points from car rental

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

We rented a car for our trip in December (12/21 - 12/29) and finally received 600 points from the rental on 1/11/18.   The thing I don't like is that these points aren't being added to my companion pass qualifying points for this current year.  I get that these are points from a 2017 trip, but if I was 599 points short of qualifying for companion pass in 2017, these points would not be added to my 2017 numbers and then qualify me for companion pass.  So in essence, these points aren't being counted for anything. 

Note, that I did qualify for the CP in 2017 so I didn't need the points, but feel these points since they weren't awarded until 1/11/18 should count towards 2018 CP qualification.  Any thoughts on why they aren't counted for either year?

Just venting, and ultimately thankful for the 600 points and hoping that I won't need those last few points come December to re-qualify for CP again. 🙂 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: points from car rental

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Check the terms of the rental, if these are bonus points then they aren't always applicable to CP qualification, but you should have them added to your balance of rapid rewards points for booking travel, etc.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

They weren't the bonus points, just the 600 points for a regular rental.  I did get the points credited to my RR account, just not the CP.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All the car rental promotions on the Southwest site say it may take up to 8 weeks for points to post and I imagine the individual rental agencies sites all say similar things regarding points posting to any frequent flyer account.  As Southwest doesn't have have direct insight into your car rental like it does with a flight you take, points are going to take some time to post.

What's confusing is that you say the 600 points weren't Companion Pass qualifying points. If you booked through the Southwest site the 600 points should count towards CP. Additional points most likely would not be CP qualifying. And since the 600 posted in 2018 they count towards the 110,000 points you would need to retain CP next year. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I agree completly!  I booked through the SW site.  When I click recent activity, it shows the 600 points for the rental, but when I click to see what is CP qualifying, they go away and they aren't in my total points on the dashboard either for CP. I get the additional points won't be, but I haven't even received those yet.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I ran across another report about points not showing up as CP eligible, apparently they called and Southwest said they were experiencing delays in CP points showing up as CP. So, be patient, they should be coming soon. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Thanks for the update @TheMiddleSeat!  I'll keep an eye on it.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I still haven't received the companion pass points for this car rental. is anyone else still having this problem?  

I did rent a car last week and have received those points and they were credited to my CP points so it must have something to do with original rental was 12/30 and must just be lost. 😞

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @PDFelter,

We want to make sure you get the points you're entitled to. If you still haven't received them, please reach out to our Customer Relations Department through one of the ways listed here

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Thanks @LindseyD, I will do that.  I haven't received the CP points for that rental.