Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

points ??

dreamladi17
Explorer C

How do I convert my rapid rewards points on a flight to dollars?   This is necessary for my travel insurance carrier regarding trip to Ireland.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: points ??

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Convert to gift cards?

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0SWARR/shop/gift-cards-all/_/N-115353+4294959434?icid=SWA_gc_oct20...

Points-wise you can search flights and show an equivalency in terms of points to book vs cash fare at the time.

Otherwise you aren't able to convert directly to cash. Several sites such as The Points Guy and others provide a valuation of points based on a number of assumptions, but that may not be exact enough for what you need. With companion pass for instance the value might be over $0.02/point.

I'm not sure how this affects a trip to Ireland, but hopefully an OIive Garden gift card gets you where you need to be....

...Edit:  and a lunch.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm going to take a different viewpoint, maybe I'm missing the mark or perhaps this will help.

I'm guessing you're asking because you want to ensure your insurance covers the value of your trip. Also guessing you booked the domestic legs of your trip on Southwest, using your RR points to "purchase".

If that's true, then booking with points sorta removes the need for insurance for those flights because Southwest automatically refunds the points if you don't complete the flight. The only catch I can forsee is if you change your schedule you would have to rebook the flights and potentially pay last minute fares (aka more points than originally paid).

If an estimate of the value of the points will work, last time I looked it was about 1.7 cents per point, but you can calculate it by dividing the cash price by the number of points required to purchase.

Hope this helps, feel free to provide more details if you need further information. 

dreamladi17
Explorer C

Very helpful and appreciated!