Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

rental car charges

johnhuber25
Explorer C

I booked a trip to Albuquerque through Southwest

Using the portal I booked a car rental with Dollar.

On the receipt there is a charge of $4 for participation in the Southwest Rapid Rewards Program.  

After going back through the site, I see that Dollar in small print says they will charge up to 1.50 per day.

I was never offered the opportunityn to opt out of paying for FF points, as this is making me do.  At the end of the day I would rather have $4 versus the points I will get (which are not showing up in my account).  So feel a little cheated.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: rental car charges

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In the future it would be best not to book through the Southwest site if you want to avoid earning RR points from the rental.  Sadly, most rental agencies charge this fee if you're requesting points/miles so you're essentially purchasing points/miles at a discounted rate.  One way I've had luck avoiding the fee while still getting the points/miles is some rental agencies will let you retroactively add your frequent flyer information to a rental after you've already completed the rental and have been billed.  Points/miles are then sent to your frequent flyer account.

Re: rental car charges

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I use Costco a lot - very competive and easy cancellation.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.