Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

unable to use RR Points to book flights

anthonyprana
Explorer C

When I go to buy a ticket using my Points, the system generates an error message stating 'account on hold.' I contacted Customer Service. They were unable to resolve the problem so I bought my ticket using my RR Visa Card. I was told I have to call back and talk to Customer Relations during office hours. When I tried to do this the IVR misdirected my call back to Customer Service wasting another 15 minutes. To get to CR you have to press 5 after calling the corporate number despite the fact the prompt for it is 'issue regarding past travel' which has nothing to do with my problem.

Is this a way Southwest forces customers to use their credit card instead of their points? Why does this keep happening? Nobody at SW has been able to explain why it has repeatedly happened. It seems there is a fault in the system. I end up flying Delta because SW's system is so problematic.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: unable to use RR Points to book flights

SWDigits
Aviator A
Hi @anthonyprana, as another customer I don't have any insight to the Southwest systems but I haven't seen any other similar customer posts like this. It looks like you are already in touch with the Customer Relations team so I hope they are able to resolve for you.

I would be curious to hear the outcome when you learn more.

Good luck!

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

Yours is the first complaint I've heard about a RR account being on "hold, " so I suspect it is something unique about your account. I've heard about credit card accounts being placed on hold due to suspected fraud. Could this be going on? I have no way of knowing. It might be something totally different.

Anyway here's the direct dial number for cutomer relations. 855-234-4654

anthonyprana
Explorer C
I spoke with Travis at Customer Relations in Dallas. He reviewed my account and saw that it had been placed on hold. There was no cause or explanation. He took the hold off, then, as I requested, he cancelled and refunded the ticket I reserved yesterday and re-issued it using my RR Points as payment. The problem is resolved in terms of my next travel, however, there is no clear explanation as to why a hold was placed - there is no fraud issue on my RR Visa card - so I don't know if this will happen again as it has happened to me before. Without a clear reason for the error in Southwest's system, there is no closure or resolution of the ongoing issue. Thank you for your interest.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Anthonly I was not trying to that fraud on your RR card caused SW to put a hold on your RR account.

I was saying that banks put holds on credit card accounts becaue of suspected fraud, and maybe Southwest did the same for your RR account if it suspected fraud.