Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

unused credit funds & vouchers, 0 or O, I/1 or L

Swcus
Explorer B

Hi 1) is there a way to locate which past confirmation numbers have been unused and can be applied towards future flights? I've canceled flights and rebooked and maybe canceled again. In the past, SW has a list of unused confirmation numbers listed on the website. They are now not locatable. In order to book a flight using unused credit, you have to know the old confirmation numbers. If you have booked many flights in the past, or rebooked/canceled a couple of times, the info is not easy to locate unless you look up the old info and apply them one by one. Each time you fill in the field to try an old confirmation number, you have to click a box to tell the computer you are not a robot and then there is a delay with the wait for the page to process  the info.  

2) Same question for travel vouchers. 

Not sure what prompted the changes with the the info (unused credit & vouchers) not easily accessible . Now, people cannot find them and apply unused funds easily.  I heard Delta has such info easily accessible for retrievable.

3) Is there a pattern of the confirmation number/letter? It is not easy to tell if part of the confirmation is a number/letter: 0 or O, L or 1 or I. Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: unused credit funds & vouchers, 0 or O, I/1 or L

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

I did had my return trip cancelled and contacted the Southwest, due to my medical emergency. After the medical (Hospital stay), I had to obtain the doctor's approval, plus stay at someone's house before returning home, and also, reschedule along with the doctor's note. I uploaded via by email and I got a return home ticket. 

I am not  for sure about Confirmation letter and number, you got to contact the SW customer service represenative for further help with the situation that you have on your confirmation.

Swcus
Explorer B

thanks

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No to the first two questions, Southwest has made it the responsibility of the traveler to keep track of funds and vouchers. Previously there were ways to obtain the information from Southwest, but that is no longer the case. Find a method that works for you, pen and paper, spreadsheet, etc and keep track confirmation numbers, values, and expiration dates. As you are doing, you can validate the funds and vouchers, but you will need the confirmation number.

Scanning through my confirmation emails it appears Southwest uses letters O and I, I could not find a confirmation with the number 0 or 1. That's just a quick look, others may have different information.

--TheMiddleSeat

Swcus
Explorer B

Thanks for the procedure. I wasn't aware of the change. When did that start? That is smart of southwest from a business standpoint. If all merchants make that the responsbility of the buyers, customers should all be saving transaction order numbers so as not to lose out on refunds and returns even if you have an account with the merchant.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

No to the first two questions, Southwest has made it the responsibility of the traveler to keep track of funds and vouchers. Previously there were ways to obtain the information from Southwest, but that is no longer the case. Find a method that works for you, pen and paper, spreadsheet, etc and keep track confirmation numbers, values, and expiration dates. As you are doing, you can validate the funds and vouchers, but you will need the confirmation number.

Scanning through my confirmation emails it appears Southwest uses letters O and I, I could not find a confirmation with the number 0 or 1. That's just a quick look, others may have different information.

--TheMiddleSeat

Agreed, for the numbers and letters that are easily confused it seems to always be the letters that are used and not the numbers.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Swcus
Explorer B

Good to know so we don't get delayed while trying to check in.