Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 Adults 2 Kids Cash Fare / Points / Companion

klas
Explorer C

Its early in the year so I would like to earn tier qualifying points for myself.  Is it possible to book Cash Fare + Companion (Wife) and book our 2 small kids (4 and 5 y/o) with points on a separate reservation? They would not be traveling unaccompanied but the reservation would be different...  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 2 Adults 2 Kids Cash Fare / Points / Companion

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, if you book a child under the age of 12 without an adult you will be prompted to enter the confirmation number of an adult who is flying on the same flight.  Then the child is no longer consider unaccompanied.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Here's a previous discussion with pictures of the screens where you add the adult information.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Reservations/Points-with-voucher/m-p/154181/highlight/true#M6987

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@klas wrote:

Its early in the year so I would like to earn tier qualifying points for myself.  Is it possible to book Cash Fare + Companion (Wife) and book our 2 small kids (4 and 5 y/o) with points on a separate reservation? They would not be traveling unaccompanied but the reservation would be different...  

The key point of it will be that you have to book your own cash fare first, then you can enter your confirmation when prompted on the kids's reserations.

Last, book the companion since you might use up the last two spots in the current fare bracket with the kids and then if you did that in reverse with the companion ticket the points value for the kids might be higher.

Your approach works great, I do this all the time.

The only downside is that booking all together on one confirmation you get the others checked in at the same time as you in case you are A-list. Doing it this way they'll all have separate confirmation numbers (the two kids will be together). 

If the kids are 6 or under then you can do family boarding anyway, so it won't be a problem if that applies.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote

Last, book the companion since you might use up the last two spots in the current fare bracket with the kids and then if you did that in reverse with the companion ticket the points value for the kids might be higher.

This is an awesome tip! I recently ran into a similar situation... price on a trip I had booked went down so I canceled my companion's reservation so I could rebook my reservation at the lower price. When I canceled the companion the fare dropped even more as it freed up a fare in the lower priced bucket.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote

This is an awesome tip! I recently ran into a similar situation... price on a trip I had booked went down so I canceled my companion's reservation so I could rebook my reservation at the lower price. When I canceled the companion the fare dropped even more as it freed up a fare in the lower priced bucket.

That's awesome! A neat little treasure hunt there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.