Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 Seperate Reservation Codes

Brooksy04
Explorer C

Quick question, I am traveling to the mainland from Honolulu and the airport I am ultimately ending up at is a smaller one. Booking flights from Hawaii is a little different and so I had to book two separate flights, one to Chicago and then one from Chicago to Norfolk. Since I booked these separately, I have 2 different confirmation numbers. My question is about checking my luggage. Is Southwest able to check my baggage all the way through to Norfolk or am I going to have to collect it in Chicago and recheck? Any insight is helpful here. I realize that it is likely going to need to be recollected which I will technically have time to do but would be much easier if I didn't have to. I know in most circumstances it has to be rechecked but since it is the same airline, hoping that it might be a bit different. Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 2 Seperate Reservation Codes

Imani
Adventurer C

Hello,

Are you changing planes?

Brooksy04
Explorer C

Yes. Flight arrives in Chicago around 2 am and then the next flight departs at 6 am and it is a different plane.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Unfortunately your initial itinerary ends in Chicago, so no you will need to collect and check your bags to Norfolk.

You could ask in Hawaii but I doubt the Southwest baggage system could handle it.

(Southwest's lack of "redeye" flights is always a challenge when flying east ) 

Safe travels

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If flights are both on the same day you can request your bags be checked through to your final destination.  Just have the confirmation numbers for both reservations handy when you check-in at your origination airport.  You will need to go to the full service check-in, not a kiosk.

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

will guest need 2 luggage tags

Brooksy04
Explorer C

The flight to Chicago arrives around 2 am I believe and then the next flight departs at 6 am.