Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

29.00 one way flight

iaawe8286
Explorer B

I am honest to share that I may not fly even if it is a free flight now.  The deal of 29.00 one way from SWA is amazing and attractive. It almost went back to those days had 29.00 one way

With all of the COVID concern and safety guideline in California. I am very surprise that people still fly and all of the airline still operates as normal.  I wish I could fly without caution even I have to pay more than 29.00 one way during this time.  Travel peacefully to everyone!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: 29.00 one way flight

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Airlines are trying to stay in business so one way they try to attract people right now is low fares including lower than normal fares. 

Maybe you could take advantage of these great deals for a flight later when covid settles down. The best thing to do now when traveling is take a few extra precautions (wash hands more often, wear a mask, wipe down your seat area) and you should be good to go. 

- Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@iaawe8286 wrote:

With all of the COVID concern and safety guideline in California. I am very surprise that people still fly and all of the airline still operates as normal.  I wish I could fly without caution even I have to pay more than 29.00 one way during this time.  Travel peacefully to everyone!

It's anything but "operating as normal" for the airlines.

Thousands of flights have been removed from schedules. Tens of thousands of employees have voluntarily lefts airlines and until a few days ago tens of thousands more were facing involuntary layoffs. Airlines are spending big bucks continuing to disinfect planes to minimize risk of visus spend. Every airline has taken on huge amounts of debt to avoid bankruptcy Southwest is losing $12 million / day because fewer people are flying. American is losing $30 million / day.

It's anything but normal for airlines.

gsking
Aviator C
Spoiler
The only people who really need to be worried about flying are the very old or immunocompromised.   Check the statistics. 

1.  Air travel hasn't been shown to be a significant method of transmission.   (If it were,  the crew infection rate would be notable, which it isn't).  See what DFW posted...

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Travel-Policies/COVID-policy/td-p/115172

2.  Recovery rates are above 99.5% below 60.  Get much younger, and the numbers become practically statistically indeterminate. 

Determining risk is a function of multiplying probability (#1) times consequence (#2).  A very small number times a very small number = a very very very small number. 

Take it from me.   I flew 50 times last year.   I didn't get Covid. 

A friend who had unknowingly gotten Covid from a housemate stopped by my house.   I got Covid.   Two weeks later,  I was back to normal. 

So, basically... you can trust the statistics.   If you can accept the risk to leave the house,  you have no reason to worry about flying.   Yes, that includes the 737 Max. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
  • First - how did you make that spoiler widget to expand the text?
  • the issue goes beyond the flying itself - for my own work people are canceling in person appointments and projects, so even if we agreed about flying there isn’t as much to do on the other end. I’m glad to hear you had 25+ trips without getting it. 
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

Thanks for the comments.   Yeah,  I still had a few work trips,  but most of it was leisure.   Couldn't let my CP go to waste. 

And I have no idea how to do the spoiler.  It popped up during an edit, and I can't remove it.   Might be related to my pasting in a local URL?

jksobonya
Aviator A

I don't think any airline is operating normally right now. In a few months it will be a year since we shut everything down. How much longer are we going to let this continue?

--Jessica

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I think Blake gave you great advice.  Book now later in the year, and maybe that will actually happen for you.  If not, you can bank that flight for a year from the date of purchase.  Although no fortune teller, I think a year from today things will be much different.   In fact, I didn't know about any 29 dollar trips, I'm going in tonight and book no less than 8 flights later in the year just in case.