Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A list - ways to earn status

titosmom
Explorer C

I am close to earning A list status and am unsure if i understand the rules correctly.

I have completed 19 of 25 flights but have two round trips booked.   Will i satisfy the requirement (6 segments) or is it only if I fly six individually booked legs?

My husband is listed for my companion fare but has points of his own that he doesn't need as long as i maintain that status.    Can i transfer his points to me to earn A list?    If three round trips = only 3 segments for A list, i'll otherwise be 9K points short for qualifying.

TIA for any input.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A list - ways to earn status

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If you haven't already you should look at your A-List progress in the Rapid Rewards section of My Account on southwest.com  Verify what your progress is

You only need to fly 15 flights in 2021 to earn A-List because Southwest reduced the requirement this year.  A round trip counts as 2 flights towards A-List.  Transferring points is never a good idea since it costs money and also does nothing to help with A-List earning.  Flights booked with points do not qualify for A-List earning.  Once you have whatever status you want (earned by paying for flights), you can burn points.  He can book your flights with his points, then you can add him as a companion.

--TheMiddleSeat

titosmom
Explorer C

Thanks TheMiddleSeat!   And yes, I am already ponying up the cash during the home stretch and will save my points for future travel.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@titosmom wrote:

My husband is listed for my companion fare but has points of his own that he doesn't need as long as i maintain that status.    Can i transfer his points to me to earn A list?     

For the benefit of anyone who might read this in the future, you must earn your own qualifying points. One cannot transfer qualifying points (or qualifying flight segments) to another person.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@titosmom wrote:

I am close to earning A list status and am unsure if i understand the rules correctly.

I have completed 19 of 25 flights but have two round trips booked.   Will i satisfy the requirement (6 segments) or is it only if I fly six individually booked legs?

Two round trips would = 4 one way flights, so you would only be at 23 of 25 flights once these flights are completed.

Booking one way flights separately instead of as a "round trip" will be the same amount of flights in the end; however, if you have a longer flight that would normally have a connection, you can book each *connection* separately and then each of those segments would count as 1 flight. Otherwise, your flight with any connection(s) would just be one flight, if that makes sense. This is one way people get to A-List, etc., faster. 

--Jessica