Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A little lost

svmarkle
Explorer C

So my husband and I were scheduled to fly to Vegas and visit my in laws at the end of this month. With the recent quarantines put in place, we figured that by the end of this month there will hardly be anything to go "site see". So we are thinking on changing our vacation to the middle of June instead. 

My question is after reading a lot of the FAQ's, I'm still a little lost on how to go about to do this. We still want to fly SW but do I cancel and turn around and repurchase new tickets or is there a way to just change the dates?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A little lost

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can do either and unless you purchased EarlyBird Check-in there's no benefit of changing versus canceling.  In my opinion it is easier to change, you don't have to worry about applying travel funds from a cancelled flight, just pay the difference in fare if there is one, or if there's a decrease you'll be informed you have a credit that will be saved as travel funds for future travel.  If you change your mind again you can simply change the flight again later on.  You also don't have to keep the same destinations when making a change, you change you can adjust dates and locations.

If you purchased EarlyBird Check-In you will want to change the flight instead of cancelling so you keep EarlyBird on the reservation and don't have to make a special call to Southwest requesting a refund which would come to you in the form of a voucher to be used for future travel.

If you need more help with the in and outs of how to actually make the change reply with your questions.

--TheMiddleSeat

svmarkle
Explorer C

Thank you for your input!!

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

reference themiddleseat's post about early bird.

If the fare you paid is lower than the prevailing fare on your date of travel, then Earlry bird aside, you are better off  changing rather than cancelling your flight. Why? The lower fare will apply to your new fiight. 

If the new fare is lower (again early bird aside)  . you are better off canceling, and then booking the flight.  Your "excess" funds will be available for future use as a travel fund.

To change a flight

1) Log in to your SW account

2) Click on my account

3)Move down the page to upcoming trips

4) Click on the trip you want to change or cancel

5)right below the departure arrival cities are the confirmation number as well as hotlinks to either change or cancel the reservation.

6) Pick which you want. If you want to change, you can do so from that point.

Note that it appears that SW is currently allowing passengers to change reservation up to 30 days into the future. So if you are changing to a mid June date, you should be fine.

svmarkle
Explorer C

Thank You for the help!!

bec102896
Aviator A

Since it sounds like your flight is in May your reservation may have a waiver on it where you can change your flight at no additional cost up to 30 days later. To find out if the waiver applies to your reservation you can look up your reservation on the app and you would see a red bar that says important you can change your flight. If you are on the computer when you click the change button it will give you a message that says you can change your flight at no additional cost. You wouldn't have pay a fare difference under this waiver if it exists for your flight as long as you change to a protected date (within 30 days I believe)   

-Blake