Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ads even as they’re cancelling flights?

Mokantx
Explorer C

Like many others this past weekend, my flight was cancelled deep into the wee hours.  In my case, I was automatically rebooked on a 6am flight, which was an impossibility for me practically speaking.  To rebook on a similar flight the next day (note: seats WERE open), I had the privilege of paying about another $60  (and of course the money I’d paid to get into an earlier boarding group was simply just pocketed by SWA.). I’m sure many others aren’t happy with SWA’s antics of late either.   

for me however, the icing on the cake was the flurry of SWA emails that came on the day of the rescheduled flight, and the day after, pushing sales for future flights.  Seriously, why advertise for more travelers when they can’t even handle the ones they already have?  I think the company is in disarray these days.  The ads strike me as an “in your face” message that all but screams that passengers really no longer matter to Southwest: only money.  Comedians could have a field day with SWA these days.

mo

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ads even as they’re cancelling flights?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If Southwest changed your flight you were eligible for a free change and should not have had to pay anything for the change to the next day. You should contact Southwest and request some compensation for that and the loss of EarlyBird Check-In.

Contact Customer Relations

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

You do realize that ads are preprogrammed MONTHS in advance, right?   And sent out by computer?

They don't have someone wake up in the morning and start sending emails. 

Mokantx
Explorer C

While I agree as to the planning behind ad campaigns, ads can be cancelled in VERY short order.  So it’s a choice by the SWA execs to let them run, rather than cancel them in deference to their customers pain while they simply cannot meet their commitments.  I find that disappointing, to say the least.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I get promotional e-mails every single day from Southwest regardless of what flights I'm taking or what the status of those flights are. I am not sure what the issue is. Did you expect Southwest to not advertise flights when you had a cancellation?

--Jessica

Mokantx
Explorer C

It’s one thing if a single, or even a few flights are cancelled.  It’s quite another when they are cancelling literally hundreds of flights because they don’t have the capacity.