Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Are cancelled tickets tied only to the passenger it was bought for or is it to the account holder?

traylorr
Explorer C

Hello:

I bought tickets for my kids to fly home.  I put the tickets in their name, however I purchased them through my account.

Plans have changed and we do not need the tickets now.

I know I can cancel the flight and use the credit in the future, this is not an issue.  But my question is, since I purchased them on my account, can I use these tickets in the future for a flight I will take, or do future tickets have to be used by them?

I have no clue what to do.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Are cancelled tickets tied only to the passenger it was bought for or is it to the account holde

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Only in the case of a points purchase or purchase of Business Select or Anytime fare would the purchaser receive the full refund. If you purchased WGA fares the value of each individual's fare is now travel credit associated with each individual passenger. WGA+ fare is the same, but allows the individual passengers to transfer the credit to a different person.

There is a loophole that allows you to "convert" non-transferable WGA credits to transferable WGA+ credits if that is of interest. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Are cancelled tickets tied only to the passenger it was bought for or is it to the account holde

traylorr
Explorer C

Thanks for your response.  I am not looking at a refund though.

As I stated, this is about being able to use tickets I purchased for my kids, for my own travel.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Then you need the loophole that I mentioned.  Each individual with travel credits needs to book any flight of the same cost as the value of the travel credit, selecting the WGA+ fare.  Apply the travel credit towards that purchase.  Immediately cancel that purchase.  The new travel fund can now be transferred to any other Rapid Rewards member.  You can repeat this for each individual who currently has a travel fund that you want to utilize.

--TheMiddleSeat

traylorr
Explorer C

I apologize, the first sentence threw my thinking off on reading the rest of the message.  Totally on me.

So basically if I upgrade these tickets to WGA+, I can transfer the tickets back to me for my own use.  Am I correct?

dfwskier
Aviator A

yup

Jean_Jasinski
Adventurer C

I thought it depended on the fare class.  The cheapest class fare (Wanna Get Away) is tied to the passenger's name. All other classes have transferrable credits.  If you booked with points, the points go back to you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Jean_Jasinski wrote:

I thought it depended on the fare class.  The cheapest class fare (Wanna Get Away) is tied to the passenger's name. All other classes have transferrable credits.  If you booked with points, the points go back to you.

That's the stated policy, but as noted there is a workaround to convert a non-transferable WGA travel credit into a transferable WGA+ travel credit.

--TheMiddleSeat

traylorr
Explorer C

So I went in and upgraded my tickets to WGA+.  However, I cannot find anywhere that I would change the tickets from my son and his wife to myself.  I can change the flight no problem, but I am missing the passenger changing ability.  Where do I go to do this?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Cancel the WGA+ reservation and then transfer the travel credits to yourself.  Then rebook with the travel credits that have been transferred to you.

--TheMiddleSeat