Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BEWARE -- SCAM regarding change / cancellation if you misdial the customer service phone number

tembree
Explorer C

Today I misdialled the Southweset customer service number by one digit when calling in to cancel a reservation that couldn't be altered on line.  The number I dialed was 1-800-425-9792 and landed at what I think was an imposter scam for SWA.  The guy I was talking to was trying to get me to pay $75 per ticket service charge for changes or cancellations (and one of the tickets was a companion pass ticket!).  He did not understand anything about the fare classes, he did not know the cost of the companion ticket fees.  And he kept pressing me to give him my credit card number so they could process the fee.  The whole thing made no sense, so despite being on the line for nearly an hour, I told him I wanted him to do nothing and I'd call back later and talk to someone else since this whole thing made no sense to me.  

I have filed a report with the FTC as well but wanted everyone and Southwest to be aware of this scam so perhaps you could take faster action than my filed report with the FTC could.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: BEWARE -- SCAM regarding change / cancellation if you misdial the customer service phone number

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's good you recognized something wasn't right. Keep in mind that most changes can be made online without the need to call and potentially misdial the number. Can you provide more information about why you could not cancel a flight online? That's a pretty basic task. 

If you want to share this with Southwest you will need to write them directly. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: BEWARE -- SCAM regarding change / cancellation if you misdial the customer service phone number

tembree
Explorer C

Thank you. Yes, I always do my changes on line. And it is quite simple. This time I was receiving an error message telling me I had to call in order to make changes. No response is needed, I just wanted other customers to be aware of this scam.