Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BS Weather Excuses

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Southwest continues to lie about weather as the reason they are an incompetent airline that is run by clowns. I rarely FORCED to fly this Bus with wings and 95% of time regret it. Just last week they canceled my flight to San Diego claiming weather was the reason. Yet United and Delta and even Frontiers flights at the same time all flew and on time to the same destination. Maybe it was too Sunny for the SW pilots? After canceling the flight I was reebooked on a later flight that was delayed 2 hrs. Once they finally got a crew and we began taxiing we then sat on runway for 30 mins until we finally returned back to the gate. You guessed it..Canceled again. No reason given. They simply said we are adding a flight tmr and you are all rebooked. No food, taxi or hotel voucher. They said we don't do that. Lol. Im 100% never going to fly this circus airline under any circumstances. I've also instructed everyone in the office not to use SouthWORST or you will not be reimbursed for your plane ticket for business travel. The Greyhound Bus is a better option than Southworst. And don't bother trying to call the worthless customer relations. Its easily a 2 hr wait. Steer Clear of SW

11 REPLIES 11

Re: BS Weather Excuses

jksobonya
Aviator A

You sound angry. 😤

Maybe you missed the memo, but every airline in the country is having problems with not only weather (June was especially bad this year), but staff shortages including lack of pilots, various technical issues, and more.

Maybe try to be a little more informed before ranting on a public forum. It's hard to take someone with a screen name like "SouthWORST" seriously. 

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-travel-health-coronavirus-pandemic-business-34a82df567df3f3def4... 

--Jessica

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Staff shortages and Technical issues fall on The Management yet SW pushes their incompetence on to the customers. They take zero accountability. And no im not happy when other airlines are flying to the same destinations yet SW claims weather as reason for cancelation. Travelers aren't a dumb as SW thinks we are. When United screws up they provide Vouchers and Hotel yet SouthWORST SAYS....Sorry we don't do that. Customers are left to fend for themselves. SW should be embarrassed how they've treated customers and customers should take our business elsewhere until SW can start with STAFFING needs. No excuse for that.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest provides vouchers too? Not sure what you are talking about.

Southwest was actually the only airline early on in the pandemic (March-September 2020) to give customers travel funds for cancelled flights that did not expire until *September 2022*. No other airline was that generous with extensions especially during that timeframe.  

Other airlines have resumed charging all their fees again like cancellation and change fees, which Southwest has never done in the first place. You are certainly more than welcome to fly any of those airlines if you want to pay more for pretty much everything Southwest already gives you free of charge.

And again: every airline is having problems recovering from the mess of last year and will probably continue to have problems for awhile yet. This is not a Southwest issue. It's an airline industry issue. 

--Jessica

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Really? They provide vouchers? Than why didn't they last Friday evening for canceled 9:30 flight to San Diego? They left us all hanging. Cost me another $155 Uber Ride home and back for added flight the next day. I guess we were lied to at airport. They said they were there to get us rebooted.  Not true about SW only one to give refunds or flight credits. I fly United all the time and they did the same as im sure all other airlines did. And I dont know bout others but United still isn't charging change or change fees. Where are you getting your info? Except from United:

"No more change fees

Enjoy more flexibility when you fly with us. We’ve permanently gotten rid of change fees ffor most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S."

So you are lying like SouthWORST employees like to their customers. Unreal. Just like the lies about weather. How bout being truthful and admitting their workforce can't meant demand? SW is just unreliable.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@SouthWORST wrote:

Where are you getting your info?

It's not hard to look up:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/airlines-reinstating-change-and-cancellation-fees.html

Airlines Reinstating Change and Cancellation Fees

Excerpt: 

American Airlines became the first carrier to resume reservation restrictions when it made its basic economy fares non-changeable and non-refundable. However, the airline is still allowing changes for international flights originating outside North or South America through May 31 (with the exception of Asia).

Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have also tightened ticket flexibility. As of May 1, all three carriers have scrapped their travel waivers for basic economy tickets and will revert back to non-changeable and non-refundable fares. Therefore, customers that worry about a new wave of COVID-19 affecting future travel should avoid booking the ultra-budget fare.

-----------------

Also: 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2021/03/08/flight-credit-covid-pandemic-canceled-...

An airline-by-airline look at pandemic flight credits

United Airlines, which was blasted for its early pandemic refund policies, extended the expiration date of tickets purchased as far back as May 1, 2019, to March 31, 2022.

Allegiant Air issued a blanket expiration date of two years from the date of ticket purchase for all vouchers issued

Delta extended travel credit expiration dates to the end of 2022 but only if you bought your ticket by April 17; otherwise, you have a year from the date of purchase. That means travelers who bought a Delta ticket in May and beyond have looming expiration dates.

American is giving travelers until December 2021 or a year after ticket purchase to use flight credits issued last year, but only if the canceled tickets were purchased by Sept. 30;passengers who bought tickets after that date are covered by the standard one-year expiration date.

JetBlue is giving passengers 24 months to use travel credits issued by June 30, 2021; credits issued after that are good for one year.

Alaska Airlines travel credits issued on or after March 1, 2020, are valid through Dec. 31, 2021.

Frontier Airlines initially stuck with its standard 90-day voucher expiration date but has since extended it to one year. 

Spirit Airlines extended the expiration date of credits issued from March 2020 to Dec. 31, 2021, but the flight has to be booked by Sept. 30, 2021. 

-------------

Southwest was the most generous from the start by going out to September 2022 - most airlines did not offer that much compensation until much later, and because they waited a select few like Delta has gone to the end of 2022 - but very few are doing that, most have expirations in 2021. 

--Jessica

Please Help: Contact Customer Service

vhoffman1
Explorer C

Hi Jessica you seamed really well informed, thank you for all the info. Perhaps you can assist I need help getting a refund for a no show we called to cancel over the phone and agent didn't cancel flight after all. We are trying to visit family that has been deployed and need the funds to go. I have emailed, tweeted, called, and posted discussion with the hopes that someone will see it and be willing to help. Any suggestions I am praying for a miracle hold times are hours and no response online? @jksobonya @bec102896 @chgoflyer @bwallet @TheMiddleSeat

Re: Please Help: Contact Customer Service

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@vhoffman1  Please don't hijack another person's thread.  I replied to the thread you started.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

I generally don't agree with posters that come on here and rant and rave, but in this instance these problems with delays and cancellations is all on Southwest as a company. 

Yes, weather plays a role, so does increased demand, but these cancellations and delays have become systemic within the Southwest system, as this article from Fool.com details:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/07/04/southwest-airlines-flight-cancellations-mount-as-s/

I hope Southwest is able to work through both capacity and labor issues, but if it doesn't there will be many rough days ahead -- for both Southwest and its passengers.   Which is something I think no one here wants to see.