Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Being Charged to Change a Rescheduled Flight

kcscar
Explorer C

Hi, all. New to the forum but haven't been able to find answer to my question.  I just received an email that our flights in September have been rescheduled. It says that we could change them for free if the selected flights were inconvenient.  I went to do that and am showing charges. In fact it will cost my family upwards of $500, almost a 50% increase in what we paid originally.  I looked at the email and am following the instructions on where to go and what to do, but am not having any luck.  I've also called but was disconnected after a 90 minute wait (tweeted, FB messaged, and chat is unavailable right now).  I'm at a loss as to what to do -- we selected non-stop and now have a 2 change, 7 hour flight.  Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Being Charged to Change a Rescheduled Flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you noted, there should be not cost to change your flight IF you stay within the guidelines of the allowed change.  If I remember correctly that means keeping the same departure and arrival cities and keeping the flight within a few days of the original schedule.  As long as you are doing that you should not see a cost to change the flight.  This may be a time when you unfortunately would just need to wait on hold to get it figured out.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Being Charged to Change a Rescheduled Flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

I would not wait on the phone.

Use one of the other contact methods list in "contact us" below.

The middle seat is correct though, as long as you are  trying to fly between the same two cities, and are doing so within a few days of the date of your original reservation, you should be able to do this at no charge.

You should be able to choose any open seat - regardless of the price.