Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking Southwest flights after May 1 when there is no pilot union settlement

LubahnD
Explorer C

Twice in the last year my family has had flights cancelled with really no good reason given.  Once last spring out of Sarasota going back home after spring break.

And then over Christmas break.

Both were supposed to be weather related but the other airlines did not have problems.

NOW: The Southwest pilots say they will/may strike after May 1.

They are old school and at least warned us. I do not blame them.

I blame management and it stops with the new CEO who seems to be a manager when Southwest has always been led by LEADERS.

So once burned then twice shy.

A third time makes us blithering idiots. Now I have been flying Southwest multiple times a year for decades, with and without my family, and this has NEVER happened before.

Southwest is doing something different AND it is wrong.

I cannot let my children fly alone cross country to visit relatives and a famiiy reunion this summer, if we will be stranded for days.

I am scared and it is Southwest's fault.

I have good reason to be scared.

Please tell me that Southwest is going to get it right.

Allegiant is looking good in comparison for the first time.

Thanks.

My suggestion is to settle with the UNION.

Pilots are in short supply worldwide and Southwest pilots all can be rehired QUICKLY by other airlines.  It is time to book summer flights.

And perhaps get a new in house CEO who understands the Southwest family.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Booking Southwest flights after May 1 when there is no pilot union settlement

LubahnD
Explorer C

To emphasize:

These were not delays or next day postponements.

Corrected from above:

I cannot let my children fly alone cross country to visit relatives and a famiiy reunion this summer, if we will be stranded for days........AGAIN.

This happened two separate times to my family.   Months apart.

This is a systemic problem and I was "lucky" twice!   I do not believe so.

Southwest has a problem.

And it is sad.

I am rooting for a recovery but first they have to admit there is a long-term systemic problem.

And then spend the money to fix it. Or get new leadership.

Or both.

Thanks again.

Re: Booking Southwest flights after May 1 when there is no pilot union settlement

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Just about every airline goes thru this in the negotiating process -- EVERY time a contract comes due for virtually every employee group.

Delta pilots just got a new contract - but only after threatening a strike.

American pilots are threatening a strike - but have no contract yet.

This negotiating process seems to happen regularly.at just about every airline. Regarding your concern about a strike actually happening on May 1, perhaps you could tell us when any airline union actually went on strike. The answer to that question will tell you the likelihood of a May 1 walkout actually happening.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest is handling multiple legal issues including one from shareholders and another from passengers who were part of the Holiday DISASTER.

The big question I have is whether they will be able to give any increases to the union given their current financial situation.

While there are those on this board who believe that Southwest has more money than Dubai, the public financial statements tell a rather meager story of their current condition.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Restating what @floridaguy said... "blah blah blah blah".

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Thar red DISASTER in floridaguy's post sure is pretty -- ain't it?

bec102896
Aviator A

That BOLD print is such a cool effect in Floridaguys post