Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking a group of 16

Angelboys3
New Arrival

When trying to book a group of 16, is it best to go through the Group Travel department or have 2 of us book reservations for 8? I was playing around with mock booking and it seems that you can only put 8 on a reservation online. Our dates aren’t open yet as we’re just under a year out from our travel dates, but I’m trying to research everything I can ahead of time. Also, when is the best time to book typically, when dates first open or closer to travel? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Booking a group of 16

dfwskier
Top Contributor

I believe you negotiate a lower fare for a group of 16 - so I'd go with group travel.

When to book depends on where you are going. In general, fares booked as soon as the schedule opens tend to be high  an later come down -- at least that has been my experience. 

Angelboys3
New Arrival

We’re going from Dallas to Orlando right after Labor Day next year. 

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Places like LasVegas an Orlando get lots of full flights. I still would not book as soon as the schedule opens.

The farther from labor day the better. day of week matters too. Peak travel days are the 4 days that bracket the weekend.

bec102896
Top Contributor

You could book when the schedule opens up and if the price drops before you make your final payment you can call and have the group repriced I have done that several times and saved some nice money for the group. 

Unfortunately once final payment is made you can't reprice and save on group reservations at least I wasn't able to on my last group booking 2 years a go. 

I might wait a few weeks after the schedule opens to call because you might be waiting on hold for hours just to get a higher price. Now days you might find flights for $49-$99 DAL-MCO when the schedule opens up it might be something like $139 so waiting might help but it depends on how in a hurry you are to book and if the prices are in your budget

-Blake