Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking a group of 16

Angelboys3
Explorer C

When trying to book a group of 16, is it best to go through the Group Travel department or have 2 of us book reservations for 8? I was playing around with mock booking and it seems that you can only put 8 on a reservation online. Our dates aren’t open yet as we’re just under a year out from our travel dates, but I’m trying to research everything I can ahead of time. Also, when is the best time to book typically, when dates first open or closer to travel? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Booking a group of 16

dfwskier
Aviator A

I believe you negotiate a lower fare for a group of 16 - so I'd go with group travel.

When to book depends on where you are going. In general, fares booked as soon as the schedule opens tend to be high  an later come down -- at least that has been my experience. 

Angelboys3
Explorer C

We’re going from Dallas to Orlando right after Labor Day next year. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Places like LasVegas an Orlando get lots of full flights. I still would not book as soon as the schedule opens.

The farther from labor day the better. day of week matters too. Peak travel days are the 4 days that bracket the weekend.

bec102896
Aviator A

You could book when the schedule opens up and if the price drops before you make your final payment you can call and have the group repriced I have done that several times and saved some nice money for the group. 

Unfortunately once final payment is made you can't reprice and save on group reservations at least I wasn't able to on my last group booking 2 years a go. 

I might wait a few weeks after the schedule opens to call because you might be waiting on hold for hours just to get a higher price. Now days you might find flights for $49-$99 DAL-MCO when the schedule opens up it might be something like $139 so waiting might help but it depends on how in a hurry you are to book and if the prices are in your budget

-Blake