Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking a longer flight

Dheilbs
Explorer C

Tried to book a flight from a smaller east coast airport to ogg.  Website says it can’t get me there.  I know I can go to CA and then book separately to OGG.  Is there a way to book it as one transaction?  I tried calling and the agent but she seemed to not know a way (and tickets are more expensive over the phone).  I don’t really care about the 5.60 in theory but I am flying with multiple people so it’s 5.60 each way per person which adds up.  Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Booking a longer flight

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

What you are probably running in to is a rule within the Southwest Reservation system: it will not let you book a flight with more than 1 plane change. The reason: it is more likely that 2 or more plane changes will result in your trip terminating due to  one of your planes being delayed.

You probably can book the trip as a "multi city" trip. Basically your first leg is to whatever city you pick to fly to Hawaii. The second is from that city thru California to Hawaii.. You probably have a least one plane change on your first leg. You certainly have a plane change on your second leg in California.

Make sure there is ample time from the time your first leg lands and your second leg begins. That is where a delayed flight would most likely cause you trouble.

Get to the Southwest flight booking page. If multi city trip is not visible, click on "advanced search" which is next to the yellow search button.

Dheilbs
Explorer C

Multi city would work but still results in the same two taxes.  I wound up booking as two single reservations spread out over a couple days so all is well. Just figured I would ask the group if Southwest had any work arounds that a hang up call again might have resulted in.

thanks for the reply!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Multi City typically results in a slightly lower fare than booking two one ways would yield.

Dheilbs
Explorer C

Ok thank you!  Didn’t know that.  Appreciate it.