Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking with flight credit

bpybas
Explorer C

I'm trying to book a flight for myself using my available flight credits from two previously canceled trip. However, it doesn't seem to be letting me use all of these credits. Is there a maximum that can be applied at any time? One flight says I have almost 600 to use but it will only apply about half of the total and adding a second flight will keep this total the same and just leave more remaining from the first credit. Is there a way I can apply the total that's eligible for use? Thank you! (My total available credits is $648.96 and the total for the flight just a bit more than that but I can't get it to credit me for more than 300ish)

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Booking with flight credit

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Were there other passengers on the original reservation that was cancelled and created the travel credit you have?  If so, you can only use the portion of the credit that was associated with your individual ticket.  The remaining credit would can only be used by the other passengers.  You can view available credit associated with a confirmation number and passenger name here: https://www.southwest.com/travel-funds/

There are workarounds to transfer the credit if it is associated with a different person.  Reply if that's what is happening and you need more info.

--TheMiddleSeat

bpybas
Explorer C

Yes, so I think the issue is clearly that the flight credit only belongs to me and it will stop to credit once the first ticket is paid for and it won't allow me to apply the credit to the second passenger. This seems standard to me and was just some confusion on my part. To clarify though, there is no way to apply the rest of this credit to another passenger? I believe it says non-transferable when I view my total flight credits. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bpybas wrote:

To clarify though, there is no way to apply the rest of this credit to another passenger? I believe it says non-transferable when I view my total flight credits. 

Not in one step. Others have reported that if one uses a non transferable credit to buy  a WGA+ ticket and then cancel that ticket, then the resultant travel credit becomes transferable.

You would then be able to use that credit.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

At least you know why it's doing what it's doing.  There is a loophole to allow you to transfer the credit by converting it into a transferable Wanna Get Away Plus fare.   Use the credit you have to book the Wanna Get Away Plus fare on any flight for the passenger associated with the credit that is not you.  Book for the amount of the credit you currently have, or at least what you want to use towards the flight you actually plan to take.  Right after booking that flight, cancel that flight, then you will have a credit that you can transfer to yourself or someone else and use that to book the flight you actually want to take.

--TheMiddleSeat