Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Business Select or am I a wanna get away ?

Flymenot
Explorer C

Hello All,

Am I alone with this thought or do others feel the same here?

I like to think of myself as a frequent flyer even though I don’t have A list or high reward count but I have flown southeast since I think way back as 1995.

This seems to keep happening that I get a Business Select ticket in order to board first (A1-30) once on board pick my seat then by the time we get to the end someone who has a wanna get away ticket for at times $200+ less than me gets to sit in the seat right next to me …huh ?

am I missing something but shouldn’t there be some accountability that the first rows are for paying customers  for those seats, 

maybe I’m selfish lol I don’t know but I spend my money on southwest business to at least feel that I am getting that extra perk. Don’t get me wrong it’s pretty smart to just grab the seat you haven’t paid for kudos to you but it still feels like a big middle finger if I paid full

and you didn’t.

flymenot 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Business Select or am I a wanna get away ?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Am I understanding this correctly you think no one should sit next to you because you paid more than they did? 

southwest has open seating on a full flight every seat will be filled the seat next to you could be filled right after you sit down or the last person to board they can choose any open seat. 

the guy that spent $29 could be next to the guy that spent $500 

Flymenot
Explorer C

I’m glad you all are chiming in maybe my point is not clear here, it’s seems so just because it is open seating there should be no ethical rule that the person paying $29 bucks should not go straight to the back ? 

at least the staff can ask once the plane is boarded hey who wants to come up front and grab one if these seats that were advertised as BUSINESS CLASS,

does this make sense or am I missing something?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Flymenot wrote:

advertised as BUSINESS CLASS,

does this make sense or am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that Business Select is NOT business class. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Flymenot
Explorer C

Thanks but I still think SOUTHWEST could let the wanna get away tickets not to sit in the first 13 rows until the end to at least give the business select buyer then feeling of ok I got my monies worth,

not when the last few people come aboard and just laddy da sits down with a $ low value ticket because it’s open seating. To me that’s not value, yes it’s not business class yet it’s ethical to give as much value as possible even in an open seating environment.

if I want to be on wanna get away ill

buy it and take the chance NOT lol 

thanks tho for the tip to upgrade;)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Flymenot wrote:

Thanks but I still think SOUTHWEST could let the wanna get away tickets not to sit in the first 13 rows until the end to at least give the business select buyer then feeling of ok I got my monies worth,

Tell me you don't have a clue what the benefits of Business Select tickets are without telling me you don't have a clue what the benefits of Business Select tickets are.

In case you would like to learn:

https://www.southwest.com/airfare-types-benefits/

Here's another good resource for you:

https://www.southwest.com/help/day-of-travel/boarding-process

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Flymenot wrote:

I’m glad you all are chiming in maybe my point is not clear here, it’s seems so just because it is open seating there should be no ethical rule that the person paying $29 bucks should not go straight to the back ? 

Wait, what? Cheaper tickets should automatically go to the back? Do other airlines do this? 

Southwest has open seating. That means any seat is available to you. There is no hierachy based on price you pay or even A-B-C groups. I've been in the C group, practically the last person to board, and I got a second row center seat once. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Flymenot wrote:

at least the staff can ask once the plane is boarded hey who wants to come up front and grab one if these seats that were advertised as BUSINESS CLASS,

Southwest does not advertise BUSINESS CLASS seats because it has no BUSINESS CLASS seats on it's planes.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Flymenot wrote:

Don’t get me wrong it’s pretty smart to just grab the seat you haven’t paid for  

Actually every one except crew and air marshals pay for their seats with points or $$ or vouchers,etc,etc, etc. Prices do not vary by seat location.

If I were you, I'd do what the other guy is going. The risk is that the other guy sometimes does not get a good seat

Oh, I've been flying Southwest since March, 1978

floridaguy
Aviator C

I do not see any value in purchasing the early bird or business select.  Your choice of seats is directly proportionate to the number of preboard passengers that go before ANYONE even if you bought all of the outstanding stock for Southwest.

On Southwest, you have the perfect storm because the preboard people MUST go first, then everyone else.  Since Southwest has open seating, there you go!

Southwest can unload a plane and have new passengers boarded and ready to go in less than an hour which translates into more flights and more margin.  Other airlines spend precious time fiddling around with passengers who cannot read and find their seat or trying to convince Betty or Bob that they are in the wrong seat.  Not Southwest.

...over the ocean blue...