Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

California mandatory isolation of seniors and refunds

desertcatt
Explorer C

California Governor Newsom just placed mandatory isolation on seniors. My senior parents and I have a flight scheduled to leave Los Angeles Tuesday morning. Will SW be able to refund their tickets because this was a state government mandated problem beyond their control? Of course we would rather be flying out Tuesday than stuck at home!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: California mandatory isolation of seniors and refunds

bec102896
Aviator A

At this time Southwest is not issuing refunds for tickets however if you cancel you have a year to use the funds from when the original ticket was purchased. 

Just curious does the order say you can’t go to an airport and fly on a plane? 

-Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's not technically an order, it's basically a strong suggestion. I would say a smart direction to follow, but not a legal order. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Lmkel68
Adventurer C

I say just make sure they're properly protected and get on your flight.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Lmkel68 wrote:

I say just make sure they're properly protected and get on your flight.

It is a recommendation, it is not mandatory. Depending on where you are planning to travel to, it may be prudent to still make the trip. (For example if you were ending a vacation and returning home.) If so, take all of the recommended precautions. 

As mentioned earlier, if you cancel you receive travel funds good for one year from the original date of issue. If however Southwest cancels your flight, you can receive a full refund. It may be prudent to wait and see what happens, keeping in mind that you can cancel as late as 10 minutes prior to departure and not be considered a no-show. If canceling remotely online, I personally wouldn't allow it to get so close -- I'd probably cancel no later than an hour prior -- but do keep in mind that that is an option. 

Good luck.