Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I cancel my outgoing flight still take my return flight?

jedikremer
Explorer C

I have a round trip ticket but now only need the return flight. There are two people on the reservation. One needs both flights while the other (me) only needs the return. What are my options? Can I cancel my outgoing flight and retain the return flight? If not can I just not take the outgoing flight and still take the return flight? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can I cancel my outgoing flight still take my return flight?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If a passenger misses/skips the outbound flight of a round trip reservation the remaining flights on the reservation are canceled. You'll need to call Southwest to change the itinerary for one passenger on the reservation. Another good example of why I believe booking everything as one way flights is the best option.

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Can customer get LUV voucher

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

The short answer is yes you can cancel the first leg without changing the return leg, because I have done exactly this, but only on a single person reservation.

Since you have multiple people on the same reservation it could be messy trying it online, I would recommend going in to try and edit the reservation online, but most likely calling and speaking to a SWA representative will be your best course of action, make sure you have all the details and flyer info when you call.

The "credit" will depend on what type of fare you originally purchased.

Safe Travels

jedikremer
Explorer C
Solution

Thanks for the help. I ended up speaking to a representative who split the reservation so that the one traveler can keep their itinerary while changing mine. I was able to cancel my outgoing flight and keep my return flight. And I received a travel voucher for the difference in price. Thanks again!

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Glad you were able to get through!

jedikremer
Explorer C

Yeah I was lucky enough to use the call back feature and get through in 25 minutes. Much better than some of the hours long comments that I have heard about. The agent was very helpful. Great experience once I got through.