Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I get a refund for any ticket impacted by a quarantine notice?

Mich77
Explorer C

We were unable to complete travel due to a Covid quarantine put into effect by a city government. Given this unusual circumstance, we expected a refund for any tickets (regardless of type) given this event was completely outside of our control. Instead, we got a canned response from SWA that essentially says no refund, only a travel credit will do. Earlier this year, AA refunded me for travel that was impacted by Covid. I would have expected the same from SWA. Why is it so difficult to offer a refund?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can I get a refund for any ticket impacted by a quarantine notice?

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Hi there,

For a sceneraio like this, be sure to contact the airline via social media or calling again and asking to speak to a manager. Everyone understands these tricky times, and they'll do what they can to make it right.

Stay safe!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

The normal protocol for all airlines is the same. What happens when a flight is cancelled?

If cancelled For things under the airlines' control (plane breaks, no crew, etc) the airlines            refunds if asked to do so.

If cancelled For things not under the airlines' control  (weather, riot, disease) the airlines provide  travel credit.

To the best of my knowledge that is how every airline handled things starting in March.

Airlines had no more insight than anyone else that the virus would happen.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

The DOT was very, very clear and reiterated it multiple times that if the airline cancels the flight for any reason that the passenger is entitled to a refund. However, if the passenger cancels, even if the airline later cancels the flight, no refund.