Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can Two Companion Pass Holders be on the Same Reservation with Two Companions?

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Hi,

So here’s the situation both I and my 4 year old son earned a Promotional Companion Pass valid January 6th through the end of February.

Can I make a reservation with myself and my son then we each add a Companion? So Buy Two Get Two Free (plus taxes and fees).

Additionally I already had earned a Companion Pass prior to earning the Promotional Companion Pass. So I have two separate Companion Passes for myself. Would I be able to have Two Companions fly with me since I do have Two Companion Passes earned?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Can Two Companion Pass Holders be on the Same Reservation with Two Companions?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

First, you don't have two companion passes so don't think you can book two companions. You have one CP and can have one companion. You cannot earn CP multiple times concurrently. 

If your son also has a companion pass then he can also designate one companion. Since the companion is added to the booking after it is made by logging into the CP holder's account and adding a companion reservation you should be able to book a flight and pay for your ticket and your son's ticket, then go into each of your RR accounts and add the companion to each of your itineraries. There's a possibility that you would need to book your reservation separately from your son's, but try booking them together first. If the system doesn't like two CP holders booking together, cancel your son's ticket (or both) and rebook separately. If you do this you will need to book the adult first then have that confirmation number available when booking the minor so the system doesn't think you are booking an unaccompanied minor.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Can Two Companion Pass Holders be on the Same Reservation with Two Companions?

Matt4202
Adventurer A

You cannot earn CP multiple times concurrently.”

In most years that’s true, but in 2020 Southwest decided to run a promo where from 9/22-9/25 if you registered, booked travel and flew by 11/15 you’d earn a Companion Pass. Prior to that offer I had already earned a Companion Pass valid through 12/21. Yesterday I just received an email from SW saying, “Congratulations on earning Promotional Companion Pass.”

Meaning, technically, I did earn CP multiple times concurrently, that’s just a fact. Whether I can use both at the same time is the issue, but I definitely earned both, if even says so in the quote from Southwest at the end of the last paragraph.

As far as the reservation goes - 

I made a booking with both me, my son and my Companion since it’s not yet 1/6 there’s no ability do designate or add a Companion for my son. The issue for me is price, I made this booking under the impression that we should be able to each add a companion as I see nothing in SW terms that forbids it (unless you see something??). Since then the price has doubled so it’d be an issue to undo that I know. I have had it where a SW Agent has created a companion reservation that’s loosely linked to the original. It doesn’t show up as linked online or in the app, it has a separate confirmation number that I’d have to look up to check in or do anything rather than searching by My Itinerary where it’s usually linked. So I guess that’s an option as well.

Any thoughts?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

You cannot earn CP multiple times concurrently.”

In most years that’s true, but in 2020 Southwest decided to run a promo where from 9/22-9/25 if you registered, booked travel and flew by 11/15 you’d earn a Companion Pass. Prior to that offer I had already earned a Companion Pass valid through 12/21. Yesterday I just received an email from SW saying, “Congratulations on earning Promotional Companion Pass.”

Meaning, technically, I did earn CP multiple times concurrently, that’s just a fact. Whether I can use both at the same time is the issue, but I definitely earned both, if even says so in the quote from Southwest at the end of the last paragraph.

Perhaps some different words should have been used. You may have "earned" multiple CPs, but in Southwest's eyes it's "one person one pass." regardless of how many a person has "earned."

Let's assume that someone could have "earned" 10 CPs. Do you think it would be a sound business practice to allow a "buy 1 get 10 free"situation?

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Yeah, different wording would have helped as two were “earned”.

I believe since this is a rare occurrence and limited to less than a 2 month period it should be honored. If it were for the full 12-24 months I’d understand, but for such a short period, especially with less traveling due to COVID, I don’t really see a reason not to allow it.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Question for you.

If it's not legal for a year, why should it be legal for two months?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's always fun to read complaints about one of the most generous benefits of any airline frequent flyer program, especially when people try to demand more. In this case, buy one ticket and get two free??? Right!

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

A good reason not to allow it is the software changes required just to implement it.   Not trivial. 

Besides,  I'm in the same boat as you.   I had my companion earn a CP, so now she's on a PAYING ticket.   Twice as many people flying (4 instead of 2), so twice as much revenue for SWA, and fewer empty seats. 

Giving another companion seat away without requiring an additional paying passenger really makes zero sense.   But giving the CP away for nearly free to everyone who flies at all is both a great way to fill seats and an appropriate reward of appreciation for loyal customers. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, I'm aware of the promotion you are referring to. The issue is Southwest's systems aren't smart enough to recognize that you already have CP so they just blast the email out to everyone that qualified under the promotion. We can go back and forth all day, but you won't be able to book more than one companion for yourself. 

Regarding the existing reservation, you should be able to add your own companion now. On 1/6/21 if you log into your son's RR account and are unable to add a companion you can contact Southwest and request they split the reservation into two. That way your pricing stays the same. I don't suspect you'll need to do this though.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As has been mentioned, one person may only hold a single CP at any given time.

The terms and conditions of that January promotion are here.

Note that earning the promo CP on top of a regular CP doesn't even give you any extra companion name changes.