Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Canceling Flight Bought With Extended Travel Funds

llln
Explorer C

I have travel funds that originally were set to expire in August but due to COVID-19 Southwest has extended the expiration to Sept. 2022. If I make a new flight reservation for later this year and either I cancel it or Southwest cancels it will the funds go back to their original expiration date, will they still be good through Sept. 2022, or perhaps will there be new rules on their expiration date?  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Canceling Flight Bought With Extended Travel Funds

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

You will be good with that extended expiration date! Which is great because as the situation continues to evolve, our appetites for travel may change. Hopefully that extended date is enough to accommodate your needs for future travel!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

llln
Explorer C

Thanks. I think I’m more willing to make a reservation with the funds knowing that even if I have to cancel again that there’s still plenty of time to use them. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@elijahbrantley wrote:

You will be good with that extended expiration date! Which is great because as the situation continues to evolve, our appetites for travel may change. Hopefully that extended date is enough to accommodate your needs for future travel!

Unfortunately that isn't completely true.

If the new flight is cancelled prior to September 7, 2020 you will indeed receive travel funds good through September 7, 2022.

If however the new flight is cancelled after September 7, 2020, you'll receive travel funds good for one year from the date you booked the flight.

Meaning, if you cancelled a flight on October 1, 2020 your fund would now expire on October 1, 2021 -- almost a full year less than September 7, 2022.

It's an odd way of implementing it, and I suspect this may trip up some people. So it's a good idea to keep this in mind when deciding how to apply your travel funds.

Details here: Select travel funds extended through September 7, 2022.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@chgoflyer Good call...my mistake! 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

llln
Explorer C

That’s what I was trying to find. Thank you. I thought there might be restrictions on it.