Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancellation- Coronavirus

Garich5mom
Explorer C

Do you think they’ll start cancelling flights for next week departures?

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Cancellation- Coronavirus

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

At this time southwest hasn’t announced any reduction of flights due to the Coronavirus. This is subject to change. The best thing to do is watch the Southwest website for any updates or check back here for any future blog posts with updates. 

-Blake 

bucketofkarma
Explorer C

It really sucks that they aren't considering giving refunds. While I usually appreciate this policy very much, I don't know if I will have cause to travel again in the next year, and only booked my flight because of a work conference that's now cancelled. Work was going to be reimbursing me for the flight, but now that it's cancelled, no reimbursement and no refund from Southwest. So I am out $450 and no clue if I can use it for a different flight. This blows.

dfwskier
Aviator A

sggasaway
Explorer C

I agree.   I would certainly think that during this time Southwest would consider the entire situation and refund a traveler's payment if they are concerned about traveling during this time.  I hope they change their minds.  It's not right to keep a person's money and only offer funds for future travel (which may even cost more) during a declared national emergency.  

lapdbill
Explorer C

Graduation plans for a granddaughter were cancelled so my wife and I no longer have a need to fly.   I hope a refund will be granted;  if not, a credit to a SWA account would be most appreciated during this time of a National Emergency.

bec102896
Aviator A

@lapdbill wrote:

Graduation plans for a granddaughter were cancelled so my wife and I no longer have a need to fly.   I hope a refund will be granted;  if not, a credit to a SWA account would be most appreciated during this time of a National Emergency.

If you purchased a wanna get away fare and cancel your flights your funds will be held as a travel fund valid for a year from when you originally purchased your flight. Keep in mind the travel funds can only be used by the passenger(s) who were on the reservation to fly. the funds are not transferable and travel must be booked and completed by the expiration date. 

-Blake

Carrieokki
Explorer C

So if I cancel my flight and rebook a flight with my credit in less than 1 year, and then need to change that flight to a later date will the flight credit be available? Will the 1 year to use the credit renew when I reschedule?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The rule is that travel funds are GOOD for one  year from the date the ticket that resulted in that travel fund was canceled or changed.

That means that all travel MUST BE COMPLETED by that date. You can cancel and rebook

as many times as you like, but the one year time period never changes,

Lv2camp
Explorer C

My question is, if I go in and cancel my flight but want to rebook the same flight because the price is $700 cheaper, Will I be able to do that?