Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Cancellation- Coronavirus

Marshag101
Explorer C

I agree. We didn’t want to cancel but were advised by our doctor to avoid plane travel. Because Southwest always advertises no fee I didn’t expect to be charged $100 for a $200 flight because I was unable to fly by the expiration date . In fact the customer service rep was rude and told me if I didn’t want to be charged the fee I should just schedule a new flight. In a unprecedented time of a National Emergency the greed of the management and the lack of compassion and understanding doesn’t match how the other airlines are handling the situation.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Marshag101 wrote:

I agree. We didn’t want to cancel but were advised by our doctor to avoid plane travel. Because Southwest always advertises no fee I didn’t expect to be charged $100 for a $200 flight because I was unable to fly by the expiration date . In fact the customer service rep was rude and told me if I didn’t want to be charged the fee I should just schedule a new flight. In a unprecedented time of a National Emergency the greed of the management and the lack of compassion and understanding doesn’t match how the other airlines are handling the situation.  

Travel funds are good for one year from the date your cancelled ticket was bought (it would be less if you used travel funds to buy that ticket). No fee is involved.

SW does have an unwritten (and therefore changeable) policy of letting passengers exchange expired travel funds for vouchers that may be used by anyone. The fee is $100 per travel fund.

TravelNewbie
Explorer C

Agreed! Pure greed!  Shame on Southwest 😡

jeremysmithhome
Explorer B

It makes you wonder why they would burn so many bridges with loyal customers...  Must be some significant financial troubles, or other issues (prior to virus outbreak) for them to be all about the $ in a time like this.  Sad 😞