Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Cancellation- Coronavirus

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Lv2camp wrote:

My question is, if I go in and cancel my flight but want to rebook the same flight because the price is $700 cheaper, Will I be able to do that?

Yes, you will, and you'll receive a $700 travel fund good for future travel.

There is an easier way. SImply change your flight. Bring up your flight on southwest.com. 

At the bottom right of the page are two options: change flight or cancel flight. Pick change flight and follow directions  from there to book the cheaper flight and receive your travel fund.

Lv2camp
Explorer C

Thank you so much for responding! My anxiety has been over the top on how to handle this. And I didn’t want to have to call SW since they are probably so bombarded.

BrunoFlipper
Explorer C

Yes, but if you apply $192 travel funds and pay $850 dollars last week, the funds are only good for the $192 date and so when did they receive the $850?  Doesn't that matter? What about tax and fees. 

I'll ignore the early bird costs I've had to pay for years that I lose.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your concerns. We understand your frustrations, and while we’re unable to refund any nonrefundable, Wanna Get Away fares, we intend to continue as a low-cost carrier throughout this unusual time and beyond. That goal remains possible as long as we don’t position ourselves to have to recover from offering wholesale exceptions to our fare policy. It’s important that we walk the line between flexibility and good stewardship of our resources. While we won’t be offering refunds of our nonrefundable fares, we’re happy to ensure each Passenger is maximizing the use of their travel funds. Please click here to see the latest update on travel funds.

Nicole
Community Manager

SWDigits
Aviator A

Here is the link for the updated policy, I didn't see a click path in the prior post:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Blog/Policy-Update-Clarification-Extending-Travel-Credit-an...

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Carrieokki wrote:

Will the 1 year to use the credit renew when I reschedule?

No, the clock starts when you initially bought your ticket.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Carrieokki wrote:

So if I cancel my flight and rebook a flight with my credit in less than 1 year, and then need to change that flight to a later date will the flight credit be available? Will the 1 year to use the credit renew when I reschedule?

I'd suggest that you DO NOT cancel your flight right now. You can do that up to 10 minutes prior to departure time.

Why?  All airlines have said that they will be cancelling flights. If you happen to be on one of them, you can get a refund.

Fideauxdon
Explorer C

I also purchased two Wanna Get Away tickets on 1/27/2020 for Flights in May of 2020, and I had to reschedule the trip to May of 2021 because of the Coronavirus threat. If they hold onto my funds for a year, to 1/27/202i, can I then use the funds, up until 1/27/21, to book my flights?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Fideauxdon wrote:

I also purchased two Wanna Get Away tickets on 1/27/2020 for Flights in May of 2020, and I had to reschedule the trip to May of 2021 because of the Coronavirus threat. If they hold onto my funds for a year, to 1/27/202i, can I then use the funds, up until 1/27/21, to book my flights?

Actually, unless the rules change, you would have to complete flights by 1/27/2021

Fideauxdon
Explorer C

How about if I cancel my flights in December 2020, and then immediately use my funds to purchase tickets for May 2021 date?