Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled Flight - Still need return flight

jeguiz2
Explorer C

We booked a round trip flight from Sacramento to Las Vegas for 12/29-1/1. We got word that our outbound flight on 12/29 was cancelled via text this morning. If I login, everything looks normal and there is no cancellation noted. I have decided to simply drive out to Las Vegas on 12/29 given the uncertainty and still would like to fly back with our original flight on 1/1. Are they going to cancel the entire reservation or just the outbound flight? The system doesn't allow me to cancel just the outbound leg and request a refund for just that one leg. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Cancelled Flight - Still need return flight

Nikki2023
Explorer A

My outbound flight from LAX was rebooked 3x on 12/24 & 12/25. On the 3rd reservation, they canceled my entire trip with an email and then refunded me flight credits. I emailed them with a request to refund me the cash here:

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

If you need to contact them, it's reported on the SW discussion forum that SW international numbers are working for domestic flights. You can call South Africa or Japan and they will answer within 5-10 minutes. They speak English. Good luck!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Nikki2023 wrote:

My outbound flight from LAX was rebooked 3x on 12/24 & 12/25. On the 3rd reservation, they canceled my entire trip with an email and then refunded me flight credits. I emailed them with a request to refund me the cash here:

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

If you need to contact them, it's reported on the SW discussion forum that SW international numbers are working for domestic flights. You can call South Africa or Japan and they will answer within 5-10 minutes. They speak English. Good luck!

Normally, SW would not cancel out an entire trip. It would try to rebook your outbound flight and if It could be they could not book that flight until a date/time that would make it impossible to make your return flight. Then complete cancellation would make sense.

Nikki2023
Explorer A

Yes, under normal circumstances, I agree. I've flown SW every month for the last 15 years. My return flight was for Thursday 12/29. Never have I ever had a whole trip canceled, just the flight in question. However, the trip was completely canceled on the 3rd re-book on Christmas Day, initiated by SW. I didn't contact them. It just happened. The credit was refunded to my account. I couldn't log in on the website or app at that point to alter anything. I didn't bother to try further as I didn't have huge plans or needed the hassle. Hanging out in the airport on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day was enough. Things might be better as the week goes on but from what I've heard, they are canceling all flights this week until things are resolved. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jeguiz2 wrote:

We booked a round trip flight from Sacramento to Las Vegas for 12/29-1/1. We got word that our outbound flight on 12/29 was cancelled via text this morning. If I login, everything looks normal and there is no cancellation noted. I have decided to simply drive out to Las Vegas on 12/29 given the uncertainty and still would like to fly back with our original flight on 1/1. Are they going to cancel the entire reservation or just the outbound flight? The system doesn't allow me to cancel just the outbound leg and request a refund for just that one leg. 

Use the link provided by the other poster to tell Southwest that you only want to cancel your outbound flight. Normally, you should be able to do that yourself, but for whatever reason that option does not seem to be available right now.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, I just learned of a possible way to learn about your flight- Got it from another user here.

Use the link below, but input your date and flight number on the right before hitting enter

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-status/path.html?departureDate=2022-12-29&flightNumber=3339

You should get an accurate picture of whether or not it is operating.

RareTraveler
Explorer A

What is crazy though is that they are not updating their phone and app info or website. Despite getting two texts that my flight was cancelled, when I try to call on the phone to confirm a refund, it asks me if I want to check in for the flight that is supposedly canceled@

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jeguiz2 wrote:

For that reason on self-service I like to book one-way flights on Southwest. 

Although during this period of irregular operations it may be beneficial at times to show all your segments on one confirmation number. 

In normal times it would require a call to keep part of an itinerary so I’d keep trying on the phone. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@jeguiz2 wrote:

For that reason on self-service I like to book one-way flights on Southwest. 

Although during this period of irregular operations it may be beneficial at times to show all your segments on one confirmation number. 

In normal times it would require a call to keep part of an itinerary so I’d keep trying on the phone. 

I should add that you can also swing by the airport if it is on the way and the lines are down by then to talk to someone in person.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.