Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled Flight due to "weather"???

jkaylkay
Explorer C

This past Sunday a group of 12 we were to fly home from a long weekend golf trip in the Denver area.  We were schedule to leave Denver on a direct flight to Raleigh at 6:25pm when we received an alert mid-morning that the flight was cancelled due to weather.  This seemed so odd since the alert was received almost 10 hours before the flight was to depart and the weather was fine.  Since the next available flights to Raleigh with availability were either late afternoon or the evening on the following day (Monday), several in our group had to find alternative flights to get home earlier due to their work requirements/responsibilities. 

Interestingly, United was able to fly  direct from Denver to Raleigh on Sunday at almost the exact same time as our original Southwest flight scheduled time.  Did United have a different weather report?  Additionally, others in our party were flying Southwest to different locations and were able to depart at about the same time as our original departure time.  Did those flights have different weather patterns? 

For those members in our party that did not want to pay the exorbitant amount to fly United that Sunday evening, we all had to pay for an additional hotel stay.  Several, including myself, had to pay for flights on anther airline to get home earlier on Monday, again, so we could get back at a reasonable hour for work.  

I find it suspicious that cancellation for weather was 1) called almost 10 hours before our flight; 2) other airlines could fly the exact same route at almost the exact same time; and 3) other Southwest flights could leave Denver at the same time.  But for some reasons, our flight could not???

Could it possibly be that Southwest, by claiming the cancellation was "weather" related, would not have to compensate for overnight stays, etc.??  

Very frustrating experience.  

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Cancelled Flight due to "weather"???

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Your welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest.

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

jkaylkay
Explorer C

Thanks for the link.  I could not find it on their website and thought this was the only venue to post a complaint/issue.  

gsking
Aviator C

The plane you were to be flying on had a whole day of other flights before it got to Denver.   So 10 hours prior to your flight,  it was in a different city with different weather. 

If it got stuck in that city,  it couldn't make it to Denver.   Therefore,  your flight would necessarily be canceled.   SWA doesn't have a surplus of extra planes and extra pilots sitting around the country waiting to make up for bad weather. 

So no,  I don't find it suspicious at all.   Unfortunate,  yes... but at least you learned early on and could investigate other options. 

honeyaho
Explorer C

Interesting how all over the USA Southwest is cancelling flights due to weather when Delta, United and American and the faa.gov is not showing any cancelled. I don't think people should fly a dishonest company

gsking
Aviator C

@honeyaho wrote:

Interesting how all over the USA Southwest is cancelling flights due to weather when Delta, United and American and the faa.gov is not showing any cancelled. I don't think people should fly a dishonest company

Wow,  you're right!   You caught them.   They really have the planes available and are actually flying them!  They just lied and told the passengers they were canceled because they wanted to fly a bunch of employees around the country instead.   A few of them actually flew empty because,  you know,  it's a treat they reward pilots with to be able to hot rod once in a while.  

Thank you for creating a new account and leaking your insightful conspiracy.   I would have thought Southwest would prefer to make money on their flights and avoid bad publicity.   But you're smarter than they are.   I appreciate you enlightening us to their true nefarious motives. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I am in no way trying to make excuses for all of the cancellations with SW lately.  But, something to keep in mind...  The weather delay is most likely where your plane was coming from at some point through the day, which delayed their departure and snowballed for the remainder of the flights it was originally scheduled to fly that day.  

We had a flight scheduled over spring break one year, and it was cancelled because of weather in Baltimore, not Ft Myers where we were.  Our plane could not leave Baltimore that morning, hence the cancellation of our flight and others through the day.

Sorry for the inconvenience this week!  

Monty1117
Explorer C

They are not cancelling flights due to weather.  They are cancelling flights due to  poor planning and staffing shortages.  Southwest is living up to the discount airlines title.  You get what you pay for.  We should all start flying American or United or Delta.      

Sandrabernklau
Explorer C

Same to us, last Saturday, although all other carriers going out of Orlando flew out no problem. They do not have enough staff, You can google this. . We were never notified by email or text we just happened to see after our confirmed seats we clicked on boarding pass then said cancelled. I moved my flight charged me 512.00$$$$. My travel agent is all over this but just heads up/.

On hold over 2 hours with customer service, she said I had no choice but to reschedule my self -last Saturday-and Southwest would reimburses me 

Well over week later hours on hold, yes documented all this. Messages, emails, no response. 

Contact department of transportation, you have rights and should have been offered vouchers, hotel stay like American did. My company is no longer going to use Southwest. Best of luck

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Sandrabernklau wrote:

Same to us, last Saturday, although all other carriers going out of Orlando flew out no problem. They do not have enough staff, You can google this. . We were never notified by email or text we just happened to see after our confirmed seats we clicked on boarding pass then said cancelled. I moved my flight charged me 512.00$$$$. My travel agent is all over this but just heads up/.

On hold over 2 hours with customer service, she said I had no choice but to reschedule my self -last Saturday-and Southwest would reimburses me 

Well over week later hours on hold, yes documented all this. Messages, emails, no response. 

Contact department of transportation, you have rights and should have been offered vouchers, hotel stay like American did. My company is no longer going to use Southwest. Best of luck

If Southwest cancelled your flight, Southwest also gave you a no cost opportunity to take any open sea (regardless of cost) between the two cities listed for your cancelled flight.

If that did not happen, you should get a $512 refund by contacting customer relations which is different different than customer service.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355