Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Cancelled Flight due to "weather"???

SouthWORST
Adventurer C

Yep SouthWORST Loves to use weather as the Excuse for incompetence. Funny that all the other airlines flights to same destinations at same time aren't canceled or even delayed. And since when do you immediately cancel a flight due to weather? Not even delayed.. I guess SW has some unique weather monitors that other airlines don't use. STOP LYING to your Customers SW

bec102896
Aviator A

@SouthWORST wrote:

Yep SouthWORST Loves to use weather as the Excuse for incompetence. Funny that all the other airlines flights to same destinations at same time aren't canceled or even delayed. And since when do you immediately cancel a flight due to weather? Not even delayed.. I guess SW has some unique weather monitors that other airlines don't use. STOP LYING to your Customers SW

They will proactively cancel a flight when they don't have a crew because that crew could be stuck in a city with weather. They will also proactively cancel a flight if the weather will be bad by the time a flight were to arrive at your destination or another destination that your flight is scheduled to go that day. 

yogamon
Explorer C

I found this discussion because the same thing happened to my group today.  On my way to the gate after checking my luggage I received a text that our flight was cancelled due to the predicted "weather" in Baltimore 7 hours in advance.  Checking the NWS, there were supposed to be Scattered thunderstorms in Baltimore later in the day, but no serious warnings and only a Ozone pollution watch in the area.  I think the cancelled flight had more to do with us being booked on a flight that was not full with one leaving for Denver with 40 extra seats on the gate right next to it.  I'm writing this from the Denver airport waiting for the "midnight plane to Maryland" with an expected arrival time of 2 AM.  Two other flights have left for Baltimore from here with no weather issues while I have been sitting here.

Oh, and to top this all off, SWA ended up paying 10 people $600 to get off the SLC- Denver flight because it was too full while waiting an extra hour for it to leave.

Please get it together SWA.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@yogamon Do you know every city your plane was scheduled to be in today?  It is so naïve to look only at the weather where you are and think "it's totally clear, everything should be fine".  Your plane could have been in 6, 8, 10 cities today.  And once again, flights are not cancelled solely because not enough seats are sold.

--TheMiddleSeat