Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled Flight

AaronL80
Explorer C

We've had a booked flight for over 1 mo. and today I got a email saying our flight was Cancelled. No new flight, no warning, no nothing. Called customer (not so good) service and they said Sorry, you have 14 days to book a flight and we will honor your price. I looked at the Southwest Airlines Customer Service Commitment and it says if a flight is cancelled they will book the next available flight, but now that the flight is close there isn't any available flights. Shouldn't Southwest be held a little accountable to someone with a reservation. What are my options? This trip was my kids Christmas Present in 2019. Thanks COVID and Southwest for ruining everything. 

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Cancelled Flight

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear your flight was cancelled. Currently Southwest is making changes to the schedule and this is causing some flights to be cut because demand is still low due to COVID19. 

Since your flight was cancelled by Southwest you can either be rebooked on another flight within 14 days (earlier or later from original departure) if none of those flight options work for you then your other option is to request a refund to your original form of payment. 

Still need a flight but it shows as sold out? Well I would keep checking as inventory on flights is constantly changing and seats could become available at any time. If your willing to share the number of passengers, departure/arrival city, and date I can let you know if I notice any seats open up. 

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@bec102896 wrote:

Still need a flight but it shows as sold out? Well I would keep checking as inventory on flights is constantly changing and seats could become available at any time. If your willing to share the number of passengers, departure/arrival city, and date I can let you know if I notice any seats open up. 

Now THAT is a FIVE STAR suggestion. I done that lots of times in my life. Many times it has worked out. Be prepared to move fast because other people are likely doing the same thing you are. Be prepared to make the change yourself on line. Inventory can appear and disappear in minutes.

If another carrier has a good option at a good price, you can always cancel your Southwest flight and get a refund (assumes you paid cash for the ticket). If you used a travel fund, you'd get one back with the same expiry date as the one use to buy the ticket.

AaronL80
Explorer C

I kept checking multiple times and sure enough a flight opened up with enough seats. I never thought it would happen. SW also called us today to make sure the cancelled flight was resolved. I appreciated the call also let them know it may be a better practice to call before the email comes saying your flights are cancelled. 

Thanks all for the suggestions. 

AaronL80
Explorer C

Thanks, we are a family of 6 traveling to Kona, HI from Denver. Travel between March 12-19 was our original itinerary, we have some wiggle room on both ends.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Am I correct in assuming your outbound flight was cancelled?  If so your best option is to go DEN-HNL on one itinerary then HNL to KOA on a 2nd itinerary.  It's not bookable as one reservation, but there are several flights that will allow you to make all connections.  If the reservation that was cancelled was DEN-KOA then you would need to speak with a representative to have them book the 2 reservations that you will need to complete this trip.

Example Itinerary on March 12:

DEN - HNL with stop in SMF, depart 7:10am, arrive in HNL 1:40pm

HNL-KOA depart 5:50pm, arrive 6:45pm

6+ seats are available on each of those.  I'm surprised a rep couldn't figure this out for you, but some of them get puzzled by the inability to book it as one reservation, DEN-KOA.  If you walk them through the need for 2 reservations you should be good to go.

--TheMiddleSeat

Monty1117
Explorer C

The cancellation of flights has become a real problem with Southwest. 

Covid is just an excuse, I know for a fact from people who are in the offices that the most recent computer outage has caused major issues within Southwest.  I also know that computers can get a virus, but it won't be Corona.  Cancelling without warning is one thing, the customer service has been nearly impossible to get through to, and once you did the offer no resolution or help.  We use Southwest Airlines in my family exclusively and we fly nearly 3 times a month.  They are great when you need to cancel, and bring bags, but they have really taken a turn for the worse.  I have a suggestion for all of you, that seems to be working for me.  American Airlines, even though they charge for bags, their fees to fly are very competitive with Southwest, and you know they aren't a  discount airlines.  I loved Southwest, but they have lost their leading edge and compassion.  American has reliable scheduling and don't have cancellations.  Stop using covid as an excuse.  Your scheduling of flights (if that is really the reason for cancellation. )  Is poor at best.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Spoiler

@Monty1117 wrote:

The cancellation of flights has become a real problem with Southwest. 

Covid is just an excuse, I know for a fact from people who are in the offices that the most recent computer outage has caused major issues within Southwest.  I also know that computers can get a virus, but it won't be Corona.  Cancelling without warning is one thing, the customer service has been nearly impossible to get through to, and once you did the offer no resolution or help.  We use Southwest Airlines in my family exclusively and we fly nearly 3 times a month.  They are great when you need to cancel, and bring bags, but they have really taken a turn for the worse.  I have a suggestion for all of you, that seems to be working for me.  American Airlines, even though they charge for bags, their fees to fly are very competitive with Southwest, and you know they aren't a  discount airlines.  I loved Southwest, but they have lost their leading edge and compassion.  American has reliable scheduling and don't have cancellations.  Stop using covid as an excuse.  Your scheduling of flights (if that is really the reason for cancellation. )  Is poor at best.

You are living in the past. Covid  hasn't been an issue since early this year.

It 

was computers two weeks ago and weather most recently. Just like at American.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-american-airlines-fights-canceled-20210621-u44qrbxbsn...

And if you think that you'll be treated better by American, perhaps you should read this:

https://www.fox4news.com/news/when-pressed-for-answers-american-airlines-unable-to-give-details-abou...

o.r this.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/22/1008968725/american-airlines-passengers-could-be-in-for-a-summer-of-d...

Monty1117
Explorer C

Its time for us as consumers in  this very competitive market to boycott Southwest and start using other airlines.  Paying for bags stinks, but being stranded due to cancelled flights is worse.  In the last month, either myself or someone in my family have had flights cancelled with 24 hours remaining 6 of the last 7 flights.  This airline which was the best airline 6 months ago is pathetic at best.  They have cost me thousands in rebooking fees.

I will be starting a petition to remove Allan Kasher, as he has done nothing to rectify this situation.  Covid is an excuse for his inept leadership and pathetic customer support.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@AaronL80 wrote:

I looked at the Southwest Airlines Customer Service Commitment and it says if a flight is cancelled they will book the next available flight, but now that the flight is close there isn't any available flights. Shouldn't Southwest be held a little accountable to someone with a reservation.

What exactly are you hoping for here?  Should Southwest bump another passenger from a flight to make room for you?  It sounds like they are going beyond their statement of getting you on the next flight and letting you choose any option you want.  Surely there's got to be another option that could work for you?

Yeah, it sucks that your flight was cancelled and perhaps there are no other options available from Southwest.  I'd be happy the flight didn't get cancelled while you were waiting at the gate.

If you were to provide more info about your original itinerary perhaps folks here could offer some suggestions for you.

--TheMiddleSeat