Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled flight - on the way to the airport

coleyreese
Explorer C

My fiancé and I went to Las Vegas July 5th and flew Southwest.  We were scheduled to fly home on Friday, 7-9, at 1:10 pm.   In the taxi on the way to the airport, Southwest cancels our flight.   We stand in a line 100 deep to be told it was cancelled due to weather (heat) and there is nothing the airline can do.   We were rebooked for the following morning at 5:30 a.m.   Now, it's Friday at noon in a city that has a major UFC and concerts going on.  We scrambled to find a room and ended up having to pay $435 at Resorts World.  Of course, we had to pay for additional meals for the day plus 2 additional taxi rides.  This is CERTAINLY not in our vacation budget.  In fact, we saw airplanes flying out all day long, so I don't understand the excuse about heat.  We couldn't even enjoy that "bonus" day in LV because we had to get up at 2:30 a.m. to catch the next flight.   The 2nd leg of the flight was freezing cold.  Everyone on the plane was freezing.  We both came home sick.  This whole experience soured us on Las Vegas, which we go to every year, and flying in general.  I was a huge fan of Southwest Airlines until now.  I don't know if I can fly with them again after this.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Cancelled flight - on the way to the airport

jksobonya
Aviator A

Out of all the hotels you could have stayed at in Las Vegas, you chose **Resorts World** which literally just opened and is one of the most expensive hotels on the entire strip?! I think Bellagio would have been cheaper. 

Heck, Circus Circus was right next door to RW and would have been a fraction of that cost. I'm positive they had rooms. So would the Strat. So would Excalibur and Luxor on the other end of the Strip. Heck, so would the Motel 6 that's on the Strip. 

You made a poor hotel decision. That's not Southwest's fault. 

I was in Vegas July 7-10. Thankfully no problems with my flights but I heard that there were many cancellations due to the weather/heat. 

There was one time in Vegas years ago where this happened to me. My flight was cancelled at the airport due to weather (literal blizzard back home) and I had to stay in Vegas an extra day. Bleary-eyed, I turned right around and went back to Luxor where I just checked out and booked a room for another night. 

--Jessica

coleyreese
Explorer C

Hi Jessica, it doesn't matter if I spent $400 on a hotel or $40.  It wasn't in the budget.  I am certainly not staying at a roach motel and bringing bed bugs home.  Second, it is Southwest's fault because they literally cancelled our flight in the taxi on the way to the airport.  Believe me, Resorts World certainly wasn't my first choice of hotels.  With it being a weekend with all sorts of events going on, LV was hopping to say the least.   I called my original hotel + several others.   Even your Luxor was quoting upwards of $400 for the night.   To inconvenience a customer like that and not even offer a MEAL is absolutely unacceptable.  I can certainly understand if it was a blizzard and everybody was stuck, but flights were leaving all day long.  They certainly can't blame the heat because it only gets hotter in the afternoon.  Thank you for your two cents, though.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@coleyreese wrote:

Hi Jessica, it doesn't matter if I spent $400 on a hotel or $40.  It wasn't in the budget.  I am certainly not staying at a roach motel and bringing bed bugs home.  Second, it is Southwest's fault because they literally cancelled our flight in the taxi on the way to the airport.  Believe me, Resorts World certainly wasn't my first choice of hotels.  With it being a weekend with all sorts of events going on, LV was hopping to say the least.   I called my original hotel + several others.   Even your Luxor was quoting upwards of $400 for the night.   To inconvenience a customer like that and not even offer a MEAL is absolutely unacceptable.  I can certainly understand if it was a blizzard and everybody was stuck, but flights were leaving all day long.  They certainly can't blame the heat because it only gets hotter in the afternoon.  Thank you for your two cents, though.

Heat can be a problem in Las Vegas, LA, other cities out west when it comes to flights. If I remember correctly, I think Vegas actually broke a heat record that week because it was so hot. I'm sorry you paid so much out of pocket for another night, Fridays are generally more expensive, but all I'm saying is Resorts World would have been one of my absolute last choices on a busy Friday night. There had to have been cheaper options than that, even on a Friday and even with events going on and as busy as it was. I'm Gold w/MLife and Platinum w/Caesars, so I get discounted rates on hotels even when booking last minute. I had Wed-Thurs free and paid $60 for Friday at Park MGM (highly recommend, btw) - but I had booked my trip months ago. I'm sure it would have been more had I booked that very day - but not $400+ more.

At least you weren't stranded at the airport and you could go back to the Strip and get a room. 

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Many credit cards offer trip delay protection and offer reimbursement for hotel stays resulting from flight schedule changes.  See if the credit card you used to purchase the trip offers this benefit.

--TheMiddleSeat

coleyreese
Explorer C

Middle Seat - we paid with a Discover.  I have never heard of them having anything like that, but that's a great benefit to have...

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@coleyreese I book all of my flights with a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It has very, very good trip delay insurance. I know that other cards do as well. A generic Discover card doesn't, I'm pretty sure.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

If taxiway too hot, airplane tire may explode

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear your flight was cancelled due to the extreme heat. You can always Contact Customer Relations and they can review your experience and see if any goodwill gestures can be made. 

-Blake 

coleyreese
Explorer C

Thank you, Blake. I have reached out to that department.