Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled flight

Kandjay
Explorer C

Our flight was cancelled from Cancun to Kansas City onSunday. They rebooked us on Monday. But we don't have arrangements for lodging, the car, where our car is parked in KC, our pet sitter and we are supposed to be back to work and son is supposed to be back in school.  There were flights available but those are full now. Who is going to pay for my additonal expenses so Southwest could save a few at my expense. Flight should not have been offered if it might not be full enough. I can't even call southwest from my cell in Mexico. I facebook messaged them and twitter messaged yesterday and no reply as of yet. We are Southwest members and I think they should have called us not texted with no way to respond. They offered rebook, but I had limited service and had to dig for password etc, because we are in Mexico, not home! So that window closed in minutes. There are other flights on other airlines. How about rebooking us on one of those.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cancelled flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Kandjay wrote:

Our flight was cancelled from Cancun to Kansas City onSunday. They rebooked us on Monday. But we don't have arrangements for lodging, the car, where our car is parked in KC, our pet sitter and we are supposed to be back to work and son is supposed to be back in school.  There were flights available but those are full now. Who is going to pay for my additional expenses so Southwest could save a few at my expense. Flight should not have been offered if it might not be full enough.

Sorry to hear this is happening t o you Airlines do not cancel flights because they are "not   full enough." Doing so disrupts the schedules and affects passengers well beyond the cancelled flight. It makes people angry, as you are showing. Airlines don't do that intentionally. As far as your additional expenses go, I'd suggest  that you

contact SW customer relations when you get home. Maybe the airline will be willing to provide a voucher for your inconvenience.

.https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

I can't even call southwest from my cell in Mexico. I facebook messaged them and twitter messaged yesterday and no reply as of yet. We are Southwest members and I think they should have called us not texted with no way to respond.

The cancellation process is entirely automated. It is not feasible t expect the airline to call thousands or tens of thousands of people a day to let them know of flight changes. Thus e-mails and text which are  also automated.

Also don't forget that y ou can use the cell app chat function to contact the airline. I've found that it works well.

They offered rebook, but I had limited service and had to dig for password etc, because we are in Mexico, not home! So that window closed in minutes. There are other flights on other airlines. How about rebooking us on one of those.  My reservation is 2ZLKW5.

Southwest does not have what are called interline agreements with other airlines, Thus it is not possible fr SW t book passengers on other airlines.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Kandjay 

First off for your reservations protection I would remove your confirmation number

Second I do see a flight for tomorrow with 2 seats you would want to act fast so you can get on that flight. If it sells out again before you can grab the seats keep checking throughout the day as seat availability changes constantly. Your flight was probably canceled due to the storm in Denver not because its not a full flight i was just on 2 flights this week with 50-60 people out of 175. 

-Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Kandjay wrote:

Our flight was cancelled from Cancun to Kansas City onSunday. They rebooked us on Monday. But we don't have arrangements for lodging, the car, where our car is parked in KC, our pet sitter and we are supposed to be back to work and son is supposed to be back in school.  There were flights available but those are full now. Who is going to pay for my additonal expenses so Southwest could save a few at my expense. Flight should not have been offered if it might not be full enough. I can't even call southwest from my cell in Mexico. I facebook messaged them and twitter messaged yesterday and no reply as of yet. We are Southwest members and I think they should have called us not texted with no way to respond. They offered rebook, but I had limited service and had to dig for password etc, because we are in Mexico, not home! So that window closed in minutes. There are other flights on other airlines. How about rebooking us on one of those.  

You might be eligible for a refund due to the cancelation, and then rebook on one of the other airlines for Sunday if you can't arrange to get rebooked on the Sunday flight with Southwest.

My limited experience although there would be a risk going back to the airport without confirmed flights that you'd have some good chance that there is availability the same day to get switched. Definitely check at the 24-hour mark if you can - that's when people get their notices about flight check-ins and invariably a few people realize they forgot to cancel their flights and free up a few seats.

The MDW or BWI connections may still be your best bet but you can ask about being changed to an alternate routing if one comes up in the system that we can't see online. Houston has a few flights available but then I don't see any available from Hou to MCI, maybe its the storm.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

There is a way to do   it tomorrow thru Houston

The question is will you have enough time to clear customs and get to your connecting flight. 

https://www.southwest.com/air/booking/select.html?adultPassengersCount=1&departureDate=2021-03-14&de...