Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled flight

Jay08
Explorer C

I am here sitting at the airport with my minor son because first my flight was cancelled without any indication until I arrived in Baltimore transferring to LGA heading from Atl . Upon arrival I was issued with a 250 dollar LUV with no compensation are considering from you guys as to where am going to stay with my son. I was coldly informed my one of your managers here stating her name is Jasmine that they have no hotel room to offer and I should pay for one if I wanted to are stay at the airport . If I had the money to stay at a hotel I wouldn’t be requesting accommodations. The way this situation was handled  was cold I am with a child if I was by myself that would have been fine but because this isn’t them and they live here and go home to warm bed with they child/children no effort was made to assist me and my child . I hope you guys do better in the future because this isn’t they way to treat people . I am not a ANIMAL!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cancelled flight

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

If you end up booking a hotel I would send an email with a receipt and hopefully they can accommodate you by check or another voucher 

after travel is complete I would still contact just to see if any further compensation could be issued. 

Jay08
Explorer C

We still here at the airport all the hotel I could afford were sold out.

91E235FB-0D0C-4826-A883-90946B0677C7.jpeg

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. In the past I have spent nights at airports and it is definitely not fun. Hope you are OK.

Most airlines deal with this type of situation in the same way. If the cancellation is caused by the airline (plane breaks for example), then hotel is provided at no cost. If the reason is an act of god (weather for example), then the hotel is not provided.

In the event hotel is not provided, you can get a "hotel discount" voucher from the airline, but you have to ask for it. It is not volunteered.

Jay08
Explorer C

Thank you , we are getting there. We should be leaving in the next hour . The delay wasn’t due to natural causes it was on Southwest end . I requested from a customer service rep and a supervisor visit and I was informed by the supervisor that they had no hotel room so I ask if I should jus sit here and wait and her responses was to pay for a room or sit here and wait . I don’t want to come back to this airport BWI they are very rude here for me and too much mice running around . 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Well,if the airline said the cancellation was not due to "natural causes" then  the airline should have provided a hotel.  

I'd suggest you do what bec102896 said above. File a complaint with the airline about the situation and ask for compensation. you might get a voucher good for future travel.

To do so, click on "contact us (below) and pick the e-mail option..

Good luck

Jay08
Explorer C

Thank you . I have gone ahead and did that . 

floridaguy
Aviator C

You are going to have to go back and review the terms of use and/or contract with Southwest.  They likely cover all of this including no accommodation for cancelled flight.

Back in the good ole days, airlines put you up for the night, etc. but with competition and a consumer DEMAND for lower fares, something had to go.

Would you have been willing to pay an extra $40 for your ticket to have a guaranteed accommodation?