Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelled itinerary from MAY not eligible to convert travel funds to points - WHY?

Marsh511
Explorer C

We purchased 2 itineraries for my wife on the same date for travel on consecutive weekends to/from different events.  Because of COVID, both events she was going to fly to were canceled.  One itinerary shows as eligible to convert the Travel Funds to points while the other shows 'not eligible'.  Why?

Itinerary 1: NOT ELIGIBLE - purchased on 2/1/20 - travel 5/1/20-5/3/20 SMF-PDX round trip - we cancelled online on 2/28/20 when we found out event was not going to occur

Itinerary 2: ELIGIBLE - purchased on 2/1/20 - travel 5/8/20-5/9/20 SMF-SAN round trip -

we cancelled online on 4/3/20 when we found out this event was cancelled

Why are travel funds from the first cancelled itinerary not eligible while funds from the second itinerary CAN be converted to points?  System still shows the funds for the first itinerary as expiring 2/2/21 (one year after booking) while the second was changed to 9/7/22.  WHY?

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Cancelled itinerary from MAY not eligible to convert travel funds to points - WHY?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

I think I know why your funds aren't eligible to be converted to rapid reward points. For funds to be eligible your funds would need to have an expiration date of September 7th 2022. Travel funds created between March 1st and September 7th 2020 will get the expiration date of 2022 and the ability to convert funds to points so in your case because you canceled in February those funds aren't eligible however I have a workaround for you but you will want to act fast: use the travel funds that aren't eligible to book another flight (any flight for any date) using all of the funds or close to it. You then cancel that flight you just booked and you will now have a new travel fund that is created between the March-September 7th timeframe. Overnight your travel funds will be extended until September 7th 2022 and you will get the ability to convert the funds to points.

** most importantly you will need to book and cancel a flight with those ineligible  funds by September 7th you can book the flight for any date and any city pairs just as long as you book and cancel before the deadline of September 7th. 

-Blake

Re: Cancelled itinerary from MAY not eligible to convert travel funds to points - WHY?

Marsh511
Explorer C

Thanks Blake.  Just want to make sure that the workaround of booking another flight with the Travel Funds that expire on 2/2/21 doesn't depend on booking a flight within a certain date range.  By that, I mean - if I use the funds and book a trip for, say, Nov 15-20, 2020, and then cancel that by 9/7/2020, sure, that will generate travel funds again, but (a) will a November flight meet the requirements, and (b) won't the Travel Funds back-date to the original date they were generated (which would be the 2/28/20 date that I cancelled the original flight) instead of being extended out to 9/7/22?

Thanks,

Marshall

bec102896
Aviator A

Yes if you book the flight for November 15-20 and cancel by September 7th your funds will be extended it will extend overnight so no need to panic if you cancel and it still shows your original expiration date. Keep in mind any funds that you did not apply to this reservation will not be extended. So if you book a flight for $250 and you had $300 in travel funds only the $250 would be extended since the new travel fund that was created was for $250 if that makes sense. 

-Blake

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As long as you book before September 7, 2020, the date of the flight doesn't actually matter. All new funds created now, before September 7, 2020, will have the September 7, 2022 expiration, and will be eligible for conversion into Rapid Rewards points.

Marsh511
Explorer C

Hi Blake,

Thanks again.  Managed to book a trip that came in $1.99 less than the travel funds in question.  Now, that trip is booked (and paid for with travel funds).  Do I need to wait 24 hours to do the cancellation, or can I almost immediately go back online and cancel the "bogus" trip?  Again, I'm making sure I don't do something incorrectly and lose the funds!

Much appreciated,

Marshall

bec102896
Aviator A

You can do it immediately no need to wait and overnight the expiration date will change. 

-Blake

Marsh511
Explorer C

I cancelled that "placeholder" flight just after midnight Pacific time (Sun 12:15 a.m.), and the travel funds still show the original expir date of 2/1/21 here mid-day Sunday.  Hoping that after midnight TONIGHT, it will be extended out to the 9/7/22 date!

Thank you

Marsh511
Explorer C

All good now!  The funds from the itinerary I reserved Saturday then cancelled after midnight Saturday now appear with that magic expiration date of 9/7/2022, eligible to convert to points!  THANKS to Blake for letting me know how to do this!

bec102896
Aviator A

Glad it worked out for you!