Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelling a Reservation and ReBooking as two Reservation for Point Savings

rlw120653
Explorer B

Hello,

I have a reservation in two months with four passengers on the flight.

Today the point price dropped almost 2500 pts. on that flight.

I cannot change the flight (to the same with the lower point total) due to there being four flyers.

I can change the flight (to the same with the lower point total) if I change the number of passengers to one or two.

So could I Cancel the original flight and book Two flights with two passengers each to take advantage of the point drop?

Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever encountered this situation and done it this way.

Possible problems?  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cancelling a Reservation and ReBooking as two Reservation for Point Savings

strgth
Adventurer B
Solution
More than likely there are only 2 seats left at the lower fare. If you cancel the reservation for four, you may only be able to book 1-2 ppl for the lower fare. Then you stand the chance of booking a fare higher than your original reservation for the other 2-3 ppl.

When I book for a group of ppl, I usually book their own flight to avoid not being able to take advantage of fare drops.

bec102896
Aviator A

Unfortunately you would need to call reservations to see about splitting 2 people off and then have them reprice the flight for 2 people because as stated they probably only have 2 seats at the lower cost available and you are trying to change 4 people so your going to the next fare bucket 

I wouldn’t cancel the whole reservation as your seats may go back at a higher price just to save on 2 people which in turn could lead to you paying more for the flight when rebooking. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

SInce Southwest does not charge different fares for different people on tickets reserved with one reservation at the same time, you could "pretend" book 4 people. Whatever fare shows up is the " fare" for the 4th passenger - and thus everyone's fare.  Try again for 2 people. If a lower fare shows up that means that is what the fare is for the second person -- and thus the first's too.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

SInce Southwest does not charge different fares for different people on tickets reserved with one reservation at the same time, you could "pretend" book 4 people. Whatever fare shows up is the " fare" for the 4th passenger - and thus everyone's fare.  Try again for 2 people. If a lower fare shows up that means that is what the fare is for the second person -- and thus the first's too.

And make sure there are actually going to be four tickets available!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rlw120653
Explorer B

Thanks to all for your comments. I actually just kept checking daily on the flight totals, and in the last week, it has decreased twice! It now is at it's lowest price for four passengers on the same ticket.  

I will keep checking, but I am happy with this point total.  More points back  for more future flights!

Tickets for my son and family to California for his brother's wedding.