Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Change Flight Red Banner

Trvlgrl
Explorer C

Can anyone tell me about the red change flight banner?  I have a flight in May, my flight has already been changed once.  I have noticed that the change flight red banner is still showing up on my app and has been there for a while now.  I know there is always a chance my flight will change again but just wondering what is your experience is with this.   I don't want to change my flight time.  

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Change Flight Red Banner

gsking
Aviator C

You have 72 hours to change to another time or nearby airport for no increase in cost.   Usually this is because your original itinerary changed significantly.  Sometimes I can't tell what changed.   

I use this about 1/3 of the time.   I have 3 airports equidistant, so I pick the best flight based on my current needs.   Sometimes it saves me a lot of money,  since the smaller airports can cost a lot more.

It seems to come and go unpredictably these days, with all the schedule changing due to Covid, etc.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think it shows up when there is a sufficient likelihood of disruption as well, I had used the red bar to change a flight even though it hadn't yet been changed or canceled.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If your flight has not already changed, the banner does not predict that it will change.

As said above it lets you make no cost changes to your reservation. Use the opportunity to see if a better flight is available. If one is, you can make a no cost change.

gsking
Aviator C

I forgot to mention you can change the day as well,  for up to several days sooner or later.   

So you can theoretically move a $50 midday midweek flight to a $150 Friday night,  at a more expensive airport like BUR instead of LAX.

Really a nice perk.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

You can actually move it up to 30 days on some of these waivers now days so that holiday travel (memorial day) could be the cheapest yet.