Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changed Flight with Higher Fare

strgth
Adventurer B

SW changed the time of flight to a later time on the same day. I'm fine with the time change since I was notified in advance. I noticed that the new flight is higher in fare and higher estimated points received once travel is completed ($227 for estimated 2753 points). The estimated points on my confirmation reflects the lower fare I paid ($179 for estimated 1503 points.) Since I am given the option of one change, should I "change" to the same flight with the higher fare so that I can get more points once I complete travel?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Changed Flight with Higher Fare

dfwskier
Aviator A

Points are always allocated based on what you actually pay and class of service - Wanna Get Away vs Anytime vs Business select.

A no cost change to a higher costing seat does not affect your eligible RR points

strgth
Adventurer B

@dfwskier wrote:

Points are always allocated based on what you actually pay and class of service - Wanna Get Away vs Anytime vs Business select.

A no cost change to a higher costing seat does not affect your eligible RR points

So if I'm understanding you correctly, even if I make my one no-cost change to the same higher fare flight SW changed me to, I will not earn the higher points. I will only earn the points based on the original fare paid (which was much lower).

dfwskier
Aviator A

@strgth wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

So if I'm understanding you correctly, even if I make my one no-cost change to the same higher fare flight SW changed me to, I will not earn the higher points. I will only earn the points based on the original fare paid (which was much lower).

Correct

david8796
Explorer C

@strgth mygiftcardsite wrote:

SW changed the time of flight to a later time on the same day. I'm fine with the time change since I was notified in advance. I noticed that the new flight is higher in fare and higher estimated points received once travel is completed ($227 for estimated 2753 points). The estimated points on my confirmation reflects the lower fare I paid ($179 for estimated 1503 points.) Since I am given the option of one change, should I "change" to the same flight with the higher fare so that I can get more points once I complete travel?

The short answer is yes, though it's up to the airline to determine which award fares are eligible for cancellation and whether you'll pay a change or cancellation fee.