Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing Itinerary after Southwest Flight Modiciation

mrburns955
Explorer C

Southwest changed both my out and in bound flights, which means I can change my itinerary +/- 14 days at no additional cost. It worked fine on my outbound flight, but I had issues with my inbound flight. For every single day within that 14 day window, I received a message from Southwest's website that no flights were available. I searched flights available for purchase and found 1-2 dozen flights available each day. Why would they indicate no availability for changes? System bug or is there a separate allocation of seats for flight changes?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changing Itinerary after Southwest Flight Modiciation

jksobonya
Aviator A

Feels like a bug and I would recommend trying again in a few hours or the next day. The change e-mail no longer says you have to make the change within 72 hours ... but you probably have to make it within 72 hours of receiving the e-mail. 

You could always try contacting them via phone or social media (Twitter, Facebook private message) too and explain the situation that you can't modify your flight because it's showing no flights available when there are flights and see what they say. 

--Jessica

mrburns955
Explorer C

Thanks for your reply. I think it was a bug resulting from them updating their flight schedules. After the update went through about a day later, I was able to select any alternative flights with available seats.

dfwskier
Aviator A

No, the way it works is that you can change to ANY flight with seat availability regardless of price.. There is no allocation of seats for changes.

I think it's a system glitch. I've personally had flight changes and been unable to make a change myself, and other times it worked perfectly.

My advice use the app chat function or social media to contact the airline. Tell them the date and flight number you want. The chat function would make any dialogue easier to do.