Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing flight

sweeti2480
Explorer C

Hi,

Was wondering if there is anyway to change my flight to an earlier time with out having to pay the difference in price.  I am going to Florida with a group and they are on earlier flight that I would like me and my daughter to be on.  When I booked there was no seats available on this flight so I booked later in the day.  Now there are seats available but it is $457 a ticket more than what I paid.   I can't afford almost $900 for the 2 of us.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Changing flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Short answer... if you purchased a Wanna Get Away fare you will need to pay the fare difference to change your flight.

Medium answer... all other fare options (WGA+, Anytime, and Business Select) have some ability to change flights to another on the same day for no price difference.  I suspect with that big of a price difference you purchased a WGA and all that is currently available is Business Select.  You could wait to see if a WGA opens up, but I'm guessing that's not likely to happen.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

You could upgrade your flight to one with a WGA+ fare. That would allow a SAME DAY no cost change to another flight.

Of course the risk is that the flight you really want is not available, and the only thing you accomplish is paying the higher WGA+ fare..

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Oh, good point @dfwskier. I was thinking the WGA+ would need to be available on the desired flight, but really if it's available on the current flight that's what the OP should change to. That at least provides the opportunity to switch, IF there is availability.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

If there is another flight same day with WGA+ you can change to that then change again to the flight you really want with the same day change 

Example: 

you booked on a 6pm flight with WGA 

you see a 7pm with WGA+ change to that 

then change again to the earlier flight that you want