Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Christmas Calamity - You Need to Quit Apologizing

fejeldy
Explorer C

This is not so much a discussion as some advice.

Southwest Airlines ... please, quit apologizing. Please.

I was in San Diego over Christmas, trying to get to back Oklahoma City the day before your system crashed. And crash it did, in grand style, and it should not have. I get, we all get it, and we trust you are getting it fixed and that it should be better than ever, top of the line, and first class, no pun intended. If not, you know, fool me once and all of that, but I trust you are already doing what it takes.

In the mean time ... please quit apologizing. You already have, a few times that I have seen, to a few reporters, to Congress (please, as if those people's hands are clean of anything), and to us.

As I said, I was in San Diego that night, trying to leave the next day, and it was a bad bad evening. But if you fly you have to figure things similar to this are going to happen. My wife and I were up until 2:00 AM that following morning figuring out how we were going to get home, and we figured it out.

Yes, we had to drive from San Diego to Palm Springs, yes we had to spring for a hotel room for one night, yes we had to fly home on American one day late, and yes our little Chihuahua had not spend one extra night in the kennel. BTW, it's a little murky now but we tried American and Delta, tried them from San Diego, Los Angeles, and Phoenix and if memory serves, if they could, it was ~ $2,500 per seat and ten or eleven hour flights. Don't let their sanctimony that night fool anyone.

But we got home, no one died, the dog was good and life has gone on.

Southwest, to their credit, apologized. And before I knew it Southwest deposited 50,000 points in my account just to say they were in fact sorry. And soon thereafter Southwest had a website set up to collect information to reimburse me for my trouble. $2,150 was in my bank WAY sooner than I ever expected to pay for an extra day of a rental car, a hotel room in Palm Springs, two tickets on American to get me home, and wait for it, the extra $17.50 for the extra day my little dog had to spend in lockup!

For my money, you guys are still the best. Get your $@!& together and we'll move on. I like everything about you guys from the gate people to the people inside the cabins.

Quit apologizing, move on, and thanks for making me whole so quickly.

I'm heading back to San Diego in late March, booking the ride right now on Southwest, and can't wait!

In full-disclosure, I'm not a business class kinda of guy. My wife and I rarely pay extra to grab the first fifteen seats in line. We fly in the middle of the pack just like most others. And I'm not a Southwest Corporate shill. Just a guy who loves Southwest and they way they handle their business.

BTW, a personal note to the trolls who may reply to this, I won't reply nor get in a discussion with you. I have said my piece, I respect your right to what you have to say, but we don't need to wear each other out with back and forth 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Christmas Calamity - You Need to Quit Apologizing

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It appears that your comments are directed to Southwest Airlines. Since this is a customer to customer forum and Southwest does not monitor the Community for customer service purposes you may want to contact Southwest directly. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

You raise some good points and thanks for sharing.  This is an open forum and your views are welcome here.  

Many share your same thoughts about the Holiday DISASTER.

It seems that Forbes has some thoughts on the subject as well.

SEE THE ARTICLE HERE

jksobonya
Aviator A

@fejeldy wrote:

This is not so much a discussion as some advice.

Southwest Airlines ... please, quit apologizing. Please.

I was in San Diego over Christmas, trying to get to back Oklahoma City the day before your system crashed. And crash it did, in grand style, and it should not have. I get, we all get it, and we trust you are getting it fixed and that it should be better than ever, top of the line, and first class, no pun intended. If not, you know, fool me once and all of that, but I trust you are already doing what it takes.

In the mean time ... please quit apologizing. You already have, a few times that I have seen, to a few reporters, to Congress (please, as if those people's hands are clean of anything), and to us.

As I said, I was in San Diego that night, trying to leave the next day, and it was a bad bad evening. But if you fly you have to figure things similar to this are going to happen. My wife and I were up until 2:00 AM that following morning figuring out how we were going to get home, and we figured it out.

Yes, we had to drive from San Diego to Palm Springs, yes we had to spring for a hotel room for one night, yes we had to fly home on American one day late, and yes our little Chihuahua had not spend one extra night in the kennel. BTW, it's a little murky now but we tried American and Delta, tried them from San Diego, Los Angeles, and Phoenix and if memory serves, if they could, it was ~ $2,500 per seat and ten or eleven hour flights. Don't let their sanctimony that night fool anyone.

But we got home, no one died, the dog was good and life has gone on.

Southwest, to their credit, apologized. And before I knew it Southwest deposited 50,000 points in my account just to say they were in fact sorry. And soon thereafter Southwest had a website set up to collect information to reimburse me for my trouble. $2,150 was in my bank WAY sooner than I ever expected to pay for an extra day of a rental car, a hotel room in Palm Springs, two tickets on American to get me home, and wait for it, the extra $17.50 for the extra day my little dog had to spend in lockup!

For my money, you guys are still the best. Get your $@!& together and we'll move on. I like everything about you guys from the gate people to the people inside the cabins.

Quit apologizing, move on, and thanks for making me whole so quickly.

I'm heading back to San Diego in late March, booking the ride right now on Southwest, and can't wait!

In full-disclosure, I'm not a business class kinda of guy. My wife and I rarely pay extra to grab the first fifteen seats in line. We fly in the middle of the pack just like most others. And I'm not a Southwest Corporate shill. Just a guy who loves Southwest and they way they handle their business.

BTW, a personal note to the trolls who may reply to this, I won't reply nor get in a discussion with you. I have said my piece, I respect your right to what you have to say, but we don't need to wear each other out with back and forth 🙂

Very well said! Thanks for posting.

--Jessica