Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass: How long to receive?

kasey97
Adventurer C

Realistically how long does it take to receive a companion pass?  I was approved on 12 Feb for one of the SWA credit cards, earning 30,000 bonus points and a companion pass good until 28 Feb 2023.  I have to charge $5000 on it by 12 May (first 3 mos).  Its pretty annoying that the 3-mos-clock starts ticking on application/approval date; but I don't receive the physical card for prob 10 business days / 2 weeks or more.  But, fortunately Chase emailed me and allowed me to load my credit card to Apple Pay and start using quickly; but good luck in finding places to accept Apple Pay. I would like to use my companion pass for a trip second week of Sept; and I'd like to book my flite as soon as the schedule opens for then (which currently SWA says is 30 March or sooner.) I have plans to make a couple large purchases totaling $5000+ purchase with my card in March.  Will it REALLY take 8-12 weeks to receive my companion pass?  If so, why does it take that long?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Companion Pass: How long to receive?

jksobonya
Aviator A

I saw this promo offered on the Southwest web site. Once you spend $5K (and probably after the billing cycle completes) than the Companion Pass would become active - the T&C says it will take up to "8 weeks." 

IMO, I'd spend way less $ just paying out of pocket for flights for a friend vs the $5K you need to spend to get this "deal." Even if you wanted to use CP, say, 6 times over the next year, if your friend paid out of pocket for 6 flights that cost $300 RT each, they would only pay $1,800, significantly less than the $5K spend required here, which is why I never think these "deals" are worth it. 

--Jessica

muel87
Explorer C

Yeah, that's not an accurate comparison.  For one, those tickets are likely more, but more importantly this isnt all "new" spending.  People are using the CC for things they're already buying, in our case there was no new spending at all.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@muel87 wrote:

Yeah, that's not an accurate comparison.  For one, those tickets are likely more, but more importantly this isnt all "new" spending.  People are using the CC for things they're already buying, in our case there was no new spending at all.  

That's a wise policy, I would only recommend to buy something extra if you are close at the end. It's not a good way to start off.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's a good deal IF you already intend on making the spend.  The OP indicates they do have plans already so it's not like they are throwing away $5000 to save $300.  If you plan to complete the spend anyway you might as well get a great perk for it.

Regarding timing, it is important to remember the points will not post to your RR account until a few days AFTER the credit card closing date.  If you hit the spend threshold on March 1, but your statement doesn't close until March 20 you will not receive points in your RR account until sometime March 21-25 ish.  Then companion pass will not be enabled on your account for a few days after that.  So it's not 8-12 weeks (usually), but it can take several weeks after you complete the spend.

I don't know where you live, but I suspect you would be surprised at the number of places that do take Apple Pay.  The tap to pay is becoming quite common (finally) and the machine does not have to specifically say Apple Pay, just the ability to tap.  Trying to spend online with it is a different story.

--TheMiddleSeat

kasey97
Adventurer C

Yes, totally agree.  I AM spending over $5000 anyway.  Of course I wouldn't spend  $5000 just to get a deal versus spending $3000 in flight purchases.  I can do the math and make a strategic/smart decision on that.  If this isn't a deal for you, so be it.  But your situation isn't everyone else's situation; and I didn't ask for an evaluation of whether this is a good deal or not.  This TOTALLY is a deal for me esp since I'm tired of my hubby getting the annual points on HIS SWA credit card - that I'm an authorized user on -  and he never flies anywhere. I know I know I can use HIS points to fly me, but it just gets hairy doing that.  As for my question and Middle Seat's answer (thank you)....I'm not concerned about getting the 30,000 points quickly.  I know its all about the closing statement of the credit card billing cycle, and all that.  I have travel funds credit I can use to purchase my future trips and/or cash and/or my existing points.  Maybe my $5000 can post by closing date March-ish; maybe my pass will come Apri-ish (although kinda doubtful on that), and maybe I will hold off on Sept booking until April-ish.

kasey97
Adventurer C

Mostly I understand now that the companion pass is issued shortly after the statement closing date in which the spend requirement is met.  Which COULD be 8-12 weeks IF the card holder takes 2-3 mos to meet the spending requirement. It could be short-er if spending requirement is met within first couple of weeks; which is what i hope to do 

c11488m
Explorer C

kasey97, I had the same goals as you to quickly get my CP.

I applied for card on Feb 16th, it appeared 5 days later.  I got my first statement on March 5th but was only 1/2 way there $2500.  I already spent another $3000 and went ahead and paid it in advance so I meet the requirements.  Like you I dont carea bout 30K bonus yet, but want the CP ASAP to book flights.  My understanding is I will have to wait until the next closing statement Apr 5th and maybe some time after? before I see the 30K and CP added to my account?

Given I paid everything I wonder if I can get it escalated or not?  Maybe I could request a different closing date like March 20th?

I think you have time for September trip, but the price of airfares are skyrocketing lately, so obviously the sooner the better for the base fare we have to pay!

Good luck!  If I get any updates I will share then.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Making a payment or not making a payment has no affect on earning points or when points are posted.  Points will post shortly after your statement closes.  Last week, the points I needed to get CP posted the day after statement closing date and I had CP the same day as the points.  It appears to all happen much quicker now than it once did.

--TheMiddleSeat

c11488m
Explorer C

TheMiddleSeat,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I am understanding from other sources as well that it drives off closing dates and I can see my $2500 points applied already for March 5th.

In Chase, it shows my March 5th statement with a due date of April 2nd which I paid off already.  If I do nothing then my next closing date will be April 5th and due on May 2nd.  Just wondering if I change due date to like 20th, if I would get a new closing date of March 20th (still this month again), but I am guessing it would be April 20th (no interest/fee adjustments applicable for me), which would only prolong the delay.  So maybe keeping 5th closing date and 2nd due dates is the best I can do here and I would have it available in early April or about 6-7 weeks after I applied?