Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass: How long to receive?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@c11488m wrote:

TheMiddleSeat,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I am understanding from other sources as well that it drives off closing dates and I can see my $2500 points applied already for March 5th.

In Chase, it shows my March 5th statement with a due date of April 2nd which I paid off already.  If I do nothing then my next closing date will be April 5th and due on May 2nd.  Just wondering if I change due date to like 20th, if I would get a new closing date of March 20th (still this month again), but I am guessing it would be April 20th (no interest/fee adjustments applicable for me), which would only prolong the delay.  So maybe keeping 5th closing date and 2nd due dates is the best I can do here and I would have it available in early April or about 6-7 weeks after I applied?

Banks I've dealt with will not let you change the statement date for the next statement, but will let you  do so for the one following that. 

c11488m
Explorer C

To wrap this up for the benefit of others, Chase would not allow me to change closing date for current cycle.  Presumably can only do for future dates.  So I had to wait about 7 weeks to get my bonus activated.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@c11488m wrote:

To wrap this up for the benefit of others, Chase would not allow me to change closing date for current cycle.  Presumably can only do for future dates.  So I had to wait about 7 weeks to get my bonus activated.

You can add the CP to flights you already have booked when you earn it though, so no worries about the timing for a flight later this year, go ahead and book yourself now and add CP later. 

If you are worried about the flight selling out, hold a reservation for the future companion with points that you can refund and swap out for companion pass booking later.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kasey97 wrote:

Mostly I understand now that the companion pass is issued shortly after the statement closing date in which the spend requirement is met.  Which COULD be 8-12 weeks IF the card holder takes 2-3 mos to meet the spending requirement. It could be short-er if spending requirement is met within first couple of weeks; which is what i hope to do 

It will always be the statement closing date, Chase doesn't send any "progress" updates throughout the billing period to Southwest, so it will be on the closing date of the current period at the earliest.

However, in regard to your other point about wanting to get the booking made - go ahead and buy your ticket as soon as possible - the companion pass eligibility is retro-active to flights you already have booked, so there's no worry about you booking now.

Similarly if you are worried about the flight selling out then book it now for the companion with your husband's points, then refund that ticket when you get the Companion Pass and the points go back to his account and you can add the CP. If the flight is sold out then do this in one step by calling or reaching out via Twitter.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.