Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass, Travel Fungs, Points, and Gift Cards (oh my!)

jcalvert
Explorer C

Hello all! 

New to the Companion Pass....

I've read that you CAN use the free companion pass if you book your flight with points (confirm?) but, can you also use the companion pass if you book your flight with travel funds, or a gift card? 

Also, if I wanted to use travel funds to pay for my flight, companion pass for my husband,  and another form of payment (points, gift card, etc) for my kids, would I just need to book them separately?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Companion Pass, Travel Fungs, Points, and Gift Cards (oh my!)

jcalvert
Explorer C

*FUNDS. I meant FUNDS. lol....

And really, there's not a way to edit my post?!

Re: Companion Pass, Travel Fungs, Points, and Gift Cards (oh my!)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes to every question you asked.

As long as the Companion Pass holder has a "paid" ticket they can add a companion to the flight.  "Paid" includes reservations made with points, gift cards, vouchers, travel credits, and credit card.  You will need to pay the taxes for the companion's fare and it can be paid with almost all the previously mentioned payment methods (no points and not 100% sure about vouchers).

The companion is always a separate reservation/transaction so don't worry about that when considering mixing of payment methods for other travelers.  You cannot mix points with any other payment method so as long as you are mixing gift card, voucher, travel credit, credit card you can book all those in one reservation with a maximum 3 different payment methods.  I would suggest booking one-way trips to break up the costs and reduce the number of payment methods you will need to use on the reservation.

Finally, yes you can edit your posts.  Click the gear icon in the upper right corner of your post and select edit.

Hope I got all the questions

--TheMiddleSeat