Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass

deniche1
Explorer C

I booked (and paid for) a flight for me and my husband for February. Since booking, I earned a companion pass. The flight we are on is sold out. Is there a way to change his ticket to a companion without canceling it? I don’t want to take the chance of someone else snatching that ticket before I can rebook. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The surest way to do this is to call in and request the one person be removed from the current reservation and added as a companion.  The agent should be able to process the transaction so there's no concern.  You should also be able to do this on your own online, but there's less surety of the seat becoming available to rebook as a companion.

For future reference, keep in mind that often seats will open up on a sold out flights as you get closer to departure so check multiple times a day for openings.  Lots of times people will change plans or cancel when they are supposed to check-in so definitely check for seats at 24 hours prior and very often within 24 hours before departure.

Just to confirm, the flight is 100% unavailable?  If there is any seat, even if it's Business Select or Anytime you can use it for a companion.

--TheMiddleSeat

deniche1
Explorer C

Thanks for the response. Yep…the flight is completely sold out. Hoping someone changes their mind! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@deniche1 wrote:

Thanks for the response. Yep…the flight is completely sold out. Hoping someone changes their mind! 

Just to add one clarification - if the flight is exactly 100% sold then you can definitely call or use twitter direct message to make the swap, the agent can do it "instantly" and although twitter can't take payment if there were any additional charge in your case you can save the travel funds from the prior ticket and use that to pay the taxes so it will work out. (And get a travel fund for the balance, unless you had purchaed a refundable fare all along or a points refund if you used points.)

However they won't be able to do that if for some reason the flight was oversold. Southwest doesn't purposely oversell flights anymore but I'm unsure of all the events that might cause it to happen occasionally, such as a flight that was originally on an 800 and is now on a 700 and there are fewer seats. 

So most likely calling or else twitter should be fine to make the swap.

And if not just wait and I have several times booked companion tickets at T-24 when a bunch of people get reminded of their flight they forgot about and change plans and even same day added it in the past. That's stressful, try not to do that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

My other tip is to always book Southwest with one-ways. That way if the companion needs to change their plans you aren't stuck on the phone making a change after having already flown the first leg of a round trip that you can't modify yourself online any longer.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.