Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Compensation for weather system outage

hgoodman166
Explorer C

Has anyone received any response, compensations or refunds for the weather system outage fiascos last week? I had two flights in a row canceled and ended up having to spend an extra $450 on a new flight home and transport to and from the airport. I reached out to customer service and got an automated response that someone would be in touch with me. Haven't heard anything since. No refund for my canceled flight or anything. I would like that AND I would hope some kind of travel voucher - the least they could do. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Compensation for weather system outage

latoynew
Explorer C

I had a cancelled and delayed flight so I missed part of my hotel, I am still waiting on a response also. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Typically no airline provides compensation for act of god events - for things under the airline's  control- yes -----for acts of god - no..

The airline should provide a refund for a cancelled  flight. It does not happen automatically. You have to ask for it.

The best you'll do is a voucher for your trouble. Make sure you are dealing with customer relations on the matter

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

jewellrunner
Explorer C

System outage is not 'an act of God' so they should be responsible. I have not heard back either and will be filing a complaint with the US Dept of Transportation if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jewellrunner wrote:

System outage is not 'an act of God' so they should be responsible. I have not heard back either and will be filing a complaint with the US Dept of Transportation if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks.

And that is exactly what you should do

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

The wording of the Southwest policy is not 'act of G-d', it is beyond their control. I'm guessing that they would say that a problem with a vendor is beyond their control. I don't agree, mind you, but I'm not making the decisions.

hgoodman166
Explorer C

Thanks everyone, following up here because I finally heard back today and received a $200 voucher but the no-reply e-mail said nothing about a refund. I guess I'll need to go through the process again to find out about that. 

jewellrunner
Explorer C

I got the same thing. It was obviously a canned response. I went ahead and submitted a ticket for each member in my party since the voucher only covers 1 of the tickets. I would like to actually have a conversation with someone as I'm asking for a very reasonable response, but they make it impossible to get a hold of anyone.