Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Covid-19 should change the refund policy and include early bird!

Bhogenson1976
Explorer C

I only get to take a vacation once a year and look forward to flying SW. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic we are forced to cancel it this year. I feel full refunds should be given for any ticket purchased. I also think the early bird check in fee should be fully refundable or at the minimum added to your next booking. Why is it not refundable? There should be an exception with the pandemic in a credit or refund. It's a money grab and no reason not to do so!!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Covid-19 should change the refund policy and include early bird!

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Bhogenson1976 wrote:

I only get to take a vacation once a year and look forward to flying SW. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic we are forced to cancel it this year. I feel full refunds should be given for any ticket purchased. I also think the early bird check in fee should be fully refundable or at the minimum added to your next booking. Why is it not refundable? There should be an exception with the pandemic in a credit or refund. It's a money grab and no reason not to do so!!

If you haven't canceled your flight yet, don't. If Southwest cancels you are entitled to a full refund, including EarlyBird Check-In fees.

If you cancel the flight however, you will receive travel funds for the airfare portion (with an extended expiration date of September 7, 2022), and possibly a voucher for the full amount of the EBCI fees (you would need to reach out to Customer Relations to make that exception request.)

Unfortunately, regardless of what you believe, airlines such as Southwest are not giving refunds except for those required by the US DOT. The reason not to do so is that they are all fighting to stay in business right now.